Cheapest (cost and TDP) build for off-site backup

volothamp

Explorer
Hello

I'm trying to use this website https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk to build the cheapest build for my off-site backups

Here's why I'm trying to get

- Low total cost
- ECC support
- Low power usage (TDP)
- Low CPU power

This server will only receive the replication data from my master NAS (10TB), and therefore it won't do much except for staying idle the whole time.
I'll probably use 2 10TB HD mirrored, as I can rebuild the whole pool whenever I want.

So far I've tried this could be a decent configuration, with 5630 Xeon (40W TDP).

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 10.55.17.png

I couldn't find any low power CPUs except for Z10 HP microserver based on AMD Opteron which are apparently not really supported.

At the offsite location (my parents place LOL) I can't put blades nor 19" servers.

What do you think? Does this make sense?

L.M.

Alecmascot

Guru
TDP is just a measure of the maximum power taken by the CPU when it is running flat-out.
Since the freenas server spends most of its time idling then TDP should not be a consideration.
I have found Dell T110 II to be cost effective.

NickF

Guru
I would look for an HP Z210 or Z220 SFF, 8GB maybe 16GB of RAM, and an i3. You can get Xeon if you want. Throw in 2 10TB Easystores in a mirror to call it a day. Z210s are selling for $80 US on ebay all day long.

The alternative for a "new" box would be an HP Microserver Gen10 or Gen10 Plus, the Gen10 will further save on Power, (I use one), but costs more up front.
The Dell T110 II is a good option, but has a bigger footprint.

You dont need one of those mosnter Z600s especially if you are concerned with power consumption.