Need some general advice regarding CPU for a new build

ovizii

Patron
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this and many other forums for months trying to figure out the correct NAS build for my use case but I haven't built a system in many years hence my question.

First of all, here is what I am trying to replace: HP ProLiant G7 MicroServer N54L with 6 HDs and 16GB ECC RAM. The best tech investment I've ever made. It cost about 200€ without HDs or RAM and has been running perfectly for about 5 years.

Initially all I needed was a bit more CPU power but as the system is not upgradeable I guess its time for a complete new build.

My requirements for this NAS are not high (it wil basically serve files via shares at home to 2 ppl and run the usual plex, sabnzbd, couchpotato, sonarr combo) - I might add 1-2 VMs to it (i.e. I don't have a physical Windows machine anymore as I rarely need one so I usually keep a virtual one handy) and maybe another low load VM for testing but nothing which requires permanent CPU power. If I ever switch from using freeNAs I guess I'd also run a couple of docker containers for home usage off this NAS.

The constraint is that this NAS will sit in my living room so noise really is a factor. Hence I was looking at CPUs with low TDP with the logic that since it does not use much power it won't get hot so I won't need to run fans at full speed. This way I arrived at Intel Xeon D-1521 or 1528.

My first question is if my logic is faulty or not?
Question #2 would be if there is any CPU suited for a silent NAS build with comparable CPU power which is cheaper than my above listed Xeon solution?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My first question is if my logic is faulty or not?
You still need airflow fans to keep the drives cool. I have found that my drives generate more heat than my processor.
I see that you are looking to replace a system with six drives, but what are your plans for the new system regarding storage?

ovizii

Patron
You still need airflow fans to keep the drives cool. I have found that my drives generate more heat than my processor.
I see that you are looking to replace a system with six drives, but what are your plans for the new system regarding storage?
Hi Chris,
I'm simply planning to transplant my 6 drives into a Fractal Design Node 304.