Chassis max 6 drives, only need 4 for setup, 2 free drives, caching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galorin

Cadet
Ok, here's my planned setup, going into a 1U chassis that takes 6x2.5" drives.I have four drives to set up in RAID-Z, giving me the capacity we need. We're a small shop with less than a terabyte on our flagging ReadyNAS 1100. What should I focus the two remaining drives on, as we don't need more capacity. I tried (In a VM) setting up 4x drives, 1x cache and 1x log, and got a warning recommending the use of more than one log drive. Why is this, and what problems would there be in using one cache and one log in production?

We're a fairly typical office, with pretty average metrics. Only one in-house app that does a lot of small network transactions, trying to fix for next major revision. Most complaints of slowness come from opening files, not so much saving.

Brand

If this is going to house critical production data in an office environment you should use nothing less than RAIDZ2.

galorin

Cadet
I am reaching target capacity with 5x drives in RAIDZ2, leaving one spare bay. Next big question then is cache, or spare in the last bay?

fennerinium

Cadet
considering that hotspare functionality doesnt work, i'd go with a cache disk (but that's after i upgraded to raidz2). not really sure how much good a cache disk is going to do in such a lightweight scenario though. as far as the spare goes, just keep the extra disk locked away somewhere in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.