Changing Transmission RPC Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisT

Patron
Has anyone else had issues changing the default RPC port of transmission from 9091 to 80? I really want to run port 80 so I can set a DNS record to navigate to the GUI rather than having to type in the port each time.

I've changed the port to numerous different values - some work and some don't, however 80 is on that will not work. I am not knowingly running any other services on port 80 of my jail's IP.

Ideas?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Has anyone else had issues changing the default RPC port of transmission from 9091 to 80? I really want to run port 80 so I can set a DNS record to navigate to the GUI rather than having to type in the port each time.

I've changed the port to numerous different values - some work and some don't, however 80 is on that will not work. I am not knowingly running any other services on port 80 of my jail's IP.

Ideas?
Only root can bind to ports <1024
transmission is run by the transmission user by default

Either
1) proxy to transmission with NGINX
2) lower the restricted port number to 79, someone on the forums did it before. I think they just put the specific sysctl in the Jail's settings.

TravisT

Patron
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the reply. I read it just after you posted, but haven't had time to come back and comment or work on this any further.

I haven't done any work with NGINX, but this looks interesting. I will have to look into this more if I could use it for this or other projects.

I'd like to find more on lowering the restricted port numbers within the jail, however a search didn't come up with much that seemed relevant. I initially thought this may be the case, so I tried some random port numbers below 1024. Some worked, and some didn't so I thought that may not be the issue. If you can point me to any more info about a sysctl that would allow this, that would be great.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the reply. I read it just after you posted, but haven't had time to come back and comment or work on this any further.

I haven't done any work with NGINX, but this looks interesting. I will have to look into this more if I could use it for this or other projects.

I'd like to find more on lowering the restricted port numbers within the jail, however a search didn't come up with much that seemed relevant. I initially thought this may be the case, so I tried some random port numbers below 1024. Some worked, and some didn't so I thought that may not be the issue. If you can point me to any more info about a sysctl that would allow this, that would be great.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/btsync-using-port-80-for-gui.22453/#post-134085

TravisT

Patron
That seemed to do the trick. What's strange is that either adding it to the sysctl options in GUI didn't work or I did something wrong. Adding it to the sysctl.conf file within the jail worked though.

Thanks for the link.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
That seemed to do the trick. What's strange is that either adding it to the sysctl options in GUI didn't work or I did something wrong. Adding it to the sysctl.conf file within the jail worked though.

Thanks for the link.
hmm, you tried adding it to the sysctl for the freenas host, or on the jail's advanced settings? just wondering

TravisT

Patron
Within the jail's advanced settings. I then restarted the jail and saw no difference. What's strange is the jail wouldn't start after adding it to the sysctl.conf file within the shell of the jail until I removed the GUI sysctl entry. Then it started and worked like expected.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Within the jail's advanced settings. I then restarted the jail and saw no difference. What's strange is the jail wouldn't start after adding it to the sysctl.conf file within the shell of the jail until I removed the GUI sysctl entry. Then it started and worked like expected.
hmm strange, glad you got it working somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.