changed router, can't access freenas

avalon60

Guru
My FreeNAS has had a fixed ip address for a few years in the range of 192.168.0.*
I have changed my router, but the ip address is in the range of 192.168.1.*, and consequently I can't access FreeNAS.
Is there anyway I can unselect the fixed ip address, and reboot it so it picks up a new ip address.

Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
No need to reboot FreeNAS. If you can get to the console, you can reconfigure the address and default gateway, which will then take effect immediately.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks for the reply and have maged to remove the ip address now, but after waiting several minutes, an error message came up, just saying an error has occured. I then rebooted FreeNAS, but it just stuck on the Comsole setup page, with no ip address showing. Under the menu it says:

The web interface coulld not be accessed.
Please check the network configuration.

So I select Configure Network Interfaces, select an interface: and I am sked if i want to delete the interface, N
Then asked if I want to remove the current settings of em1, Y
Removing interface configuration: OK
Restarting Network: Failed

The web interface could not be accessed
Please check network configuration.

How do i fix this please.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

First, don't panic. In the console menu, select 9 for the shell.
  1. dmesg | grep em to see if the driver for the NIC loaded.
  2. ifconfig em1 to see if any residual settings exist on the NIC
  3. Try ifconfig em1 destroy to whack any residual settings.
  4. exit to leave the shell
Then select 10 to reboot clean.

When you're back in the config menu after the reboot, run 1 to configure a new static IP on the NIC, 4 to set a default gateway, and 6 to set your DNS servers.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks for coming back to me.

First, on the 1st step, I can't do the vertical line | in the freenas shell. I've tried 2 keyboards, and its the same with both.
On the 2nd step, yes it seems that there are some existing settings: as there is a mac address, hwaddr addressand the status is active.
Step 3: ifconfig em1 destroy returns
ifconfig: SIOCIFDESTROY: invalid argument

Thanks

Samuel Tai

If your keyboard doesn't have a | key, try holding down left-Alt, and then on the number pad 1-2-4.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks, and I've just found a link on how to change the ip address from a console here:

I've managed to set a staic ip address now, but for some strange reason it would not accept the one I entered, but gave me a new different one. Anyway, all is well again, and thanks for your assistance.

bar17

Dabbler
First, don't panic. In the console menu, select 9 for the shell.
  1. dmesg | grep em to see if the driver for the NIC loaded.
  2. ifconfig em1 to see if any residual settings exist on the NIC
  3. Try ifconfig em1 destroy to whack any residual settings.
  4. exit to leave the shell
Then select 10 to reboot clean.

When you're back in the config menu after the reboot, run 1 to configure a new static IP on the NIC, 4 to set a default gateway, and 6 to set your DNS servers.
Hello,

I have a similar problem. I changed my router. I used to have my FreeNas on a 10.x.x.x ip address. Now I just have it back to a default 192.168.1.x .... I don't want to switch over to 10.x.x.x again because my network is up and running fine.

I cannot access over the web interface despite using the new IP address that I find has been leased to FreeNas when in the router interface.

However, I CAN ssh directly into the box using the new leased IP address and have a root prompt.

I tried steps 1 and 2.

Code:
root@server[~]# dmesg
igb1: link state changed to DOWN
igb1: link state changed to UP
tap0: link state changed to DOWN
tap0: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx(masked for privacy)
tap0: promiscuous mode enabled
tap0: link state changed to UP

I did not try step 3 - because I like that I currently have access and don't want to try this unless it really makes sense.

I will add that I have virtual machines and Jails running all no problem and they took their new leased IPs no problem. So everything else works - I just can't get in the web interface.

Any help appreciated.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Clear the cache and cookies on your web browser and try again.

bar17

Dabbler
Clear the cache and cookies on your web browser and try again.

I just tried - still does not work. I also tried another couple browsers and private / guest windows.

Firefox gives "Unable to connect". Vivaldi says "connection refused". ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

I did set up a certificate of some sort a while ago. However, I see no options to "proceed anyway" etc.

jhmw01

Dabbler
The easiest resolution to this is to just the LAN settings on the new router. So turn the new range into the old. Everything should just then work. The You'll need to redo any domains linked to the IP and redo the port forwarding but thats about it.