Change WebDAV permissions for writing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen thomas

Dabbler
Is it possible to change the write permissions for the WebDAV user? It's currently 755 and greyed out. I'd like it to be 775.

Some details as to why I want this:

We have several users and have the auxiliary groups they belong to dictates which datasets they can access. We're using WebDAV to share to a NextCloud Box (smb_client/ftp haven't been added to the nextcloud snap yet, so WebDav seems to be the only way to go). At the minute, if someone modifies/adds a file via a NextCloud client/web interface, because it isn't group writable, users accessing FreeNAS on the local network can't modify it.

stephen thomas

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply. I've already read the documentation, but the warning only talks about having to use the WebDAV user and using a strong password. I'm using the WebDAV user, but need the files it writes/edits to be group writable...

I'm also aware of the pitfalls of using several different types of share for the same datasets (file locking), but I can't see a way around this while having the files accessible locally and remotely (not until Nextcloud adds SMB anyway)...

More of a general question to add to the above, but how do you all achieve local and remote access without these problems? I'm not talking about being able to SSH in, but a workable solution that non-technical users can easily use. I believe this question is still on topic as it ties in to remote access writing files that are editible locally. I'd like to keep a user/group permission system similar to what we have now, as we need to limit dataset access based on who's using it. :) Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.