SOLVED CIFS Group Writing Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOX

Dabbler
Hello FreeNAS Community,

I have been attempting to set up two CIFS shares, one for my wife (user_1) and one for myself (user_2). Both of these shares are separate ZFS Datasets, and each contain an additional ZFS Dataset named "Private". What I am having trouble with is the users' group being unable to read from the Private directory. I have posted below additional information to assist in troubleshooting the issue.
  • user_1 and user_2 both have their Primary Group set to group_1
  • user_*'s share lives at /mnt/storage/homes/user_*
  • user_*'s share ZFS Dataset's permissions are user_*:group_1 755
  • user_*'s share "Private" ZFS Dataset's permissions are user_*:group_1 750
*NOTE* "user_*" means "user_1" and "user_2".

An Example: user_1 can navigate to their share and have read and write permissions in both the root of their share and the Private directory. Everything is dandy with user_1 and their own share. user_2 on the other hand can navigate to user_1's share, but is unable to view the "Private" directory even though they both belong to group_1.

I hope this is enough information to assist in troubleshooting, and is not too confusing. If any other information is requested I would be happy to provide it!

Thank you everyone in advance for your time and assistance, and I hope that you all have a wonderful day!

EDIT:
I have solved the issue using the "valid users = @group_1" flag within each user's share. Not sure why I did not think of it before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.