cdrecord in a jail

keithg

Explorer
I have a jail set up to rip CDs to my NAS. I'm running fuly up to date TrueNAS Core. I have had it for a number of years and it works great tha I can rip them right where I store them. Well, now I need to burn an audio CD. To do so I need cdrecord to work in the jail. I installed the package, but get no farther than this:
As root:
Code:
# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.02 2022/08/18 (amd64-unknown-freebsd13.2) Copyright (C) 1995-2019 Joerg Schilling
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. Error opening /dev/pass0 Cam error 'cam_real_open_device: couldn't open passthr. Cannot open or use SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

As a user:
Code:
$ cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.02 2022/08/18 (amd64-unknown-freebsd13.2) Copyright (C) 1995-2019 Joerg Schilling
cdrecord: Insufficient 'file read' privileges. You will not be able to open all needed devices.
cdrecord: Insufficient 'file write' privileges. You will not be able to open all needed devices.
cdrecord: Insufficient 'device' privileges. You may not be able to send all needed SCSI commands, this my cause various unexplainable problems.
cdrecord: Insufficient 'memlock' privileges. You may get buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Insufficient 'priocntl' privileges. You may get buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Insufficient 'network' privileges. You will not be able to do remote SCSI.
cdrecord: Permission denied. Open of /dev/xpt0 failed. Cannot open or use SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Does anyone know how I can set it up so I can write a CD from the jail? The drive is there and is functional as I can use it to rip files, I just cannot figure out how to write to it. If it is not possible with Core, will it work with Scale?

Keith

keithg

Explorer
I found this:
Bug 217649
It does not give me any actionable info, though, because I do not know where to change the mode to: O_RDWR
Any ideas?

Is doing this over SMB and/or NFS out of the picture?

Considering the slow speeds of optical disc media (CD, DVD, BluRay), the local network will not be a bottleneck.

Not sure why ripping/writing CDs needs to happen directly on TrueNAS itself, when it can be done over an SMB or NFS share from any Windows, Linux, or Mac client.