catastrophic events after updating to 11.2-u7

ARKansans

Dabbler
So I decided to finally update freenas 11.2-u6 to 11.2-u7, big mistake.
update went trough and all ok, got access to all my mapped drives, except one.
After googling and trying this and that, i just didn't get an access to that drive, even tried that command from the release notes, just made things worse.
The big mistake................ I decided to try and change the owner of the share, went and selected edit permissions,
switched from windows to unix in ACL and changed user to plexuser and all read/write/execute options selected, along with
Apply permissions recursively................. later on I noticed that I had selected the root of the pool.........
restarted the server when i noticed that, so there wasn't complete ownership changes.
Is there any hope for salvage?
I did save the config before the update, thought I already selected the root of the pool for a snapshot, but that was wrong.
so the things that were affected I belive were, 4 datasets (16tb total) and on of them was iocage.
I had previously moved the system dataset to my SSD boot disk few weeks before, so that should be safe.

What options do I have?
Not sure what other information I can give, just ask.

You would likely be ok switching ownership back to, or simply to root:wheel. That will at least allow things to "work" id think but I never tried it. Then you can just start going thru and owning things you need back to other users. Without a snapshot im not sure what else you can do.

Also to note, you can use "Unix" style permissions with windows I find it much easier to deal with if not in a production environment. Just create a matching user in FreeNAS to your Windows user and give them group access to things if not wheel level privilege.

ARKansans

Dabbler
Thank you for that John.
As I laid in my bed last night it got me thinking.
Is there any way to just delete the iocage dataset and make FreeNAS re-install it and then just re-install the jails, as
I think that's only what was really affected, right?
There ain't much data or anything like that in those jails. I tried searching anything regarding re-installing the jail/iocage, but
got nothing that applied to me.
Been reading alot here, google search and the FreeNAS user guide, and it just made me turn around in circles as I did
not find anything that applied directly to me, tried many things though, but to no avail.

freenas.jpg
EDIT:
just finished changing ownership to root:wheel, plex still wont start (Refused to connect) and all jail shells dont load, just
the blinking square in the left top corner.

Last edited:
What you describe to do is probably the route to go at this point. Having never done it I'm not sure how to go about it though. So yeah just re configuring and or reinstalling iocage and jails might be the way to go if there isn't alot of data in those jails. Sorry I'm not more help, maybe someone else will chime in.

ARKansans

Dabbler
What you describe to do is probably the route to go at this point. Having never done it I'm not sure how to go about it though. So yeah just re configuring and or reinstalling iocage and jails might be the way to go if there isn't a lot of data in those jails. Sorry I'm not more help, maybe someone else will chime in.
No worries at-least you tried, witch counts.

Just did
Code:
iocage clean -a

tried to setup a new jail but unable to, keep getting the error
Code:
Error: Fetching remote release choices failed.
('Connection aborted.', ConnectionResetError(54, 'Connection reset by peer'))

and download.FreeBSD.org seems to be down so I guess I have to wait setting the jail up.

Last edited: