Can't update Plex plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Setting up an FTP client and turning on SSH is probably the easiest way. Just turn on SSH in the services tab and put checks in the log in as root and allow password authentication. This will allow you to log in using your root account to upload the file using an SFTP connection. I personally use FireFTP plugin for Firefox for simple things like this. When you're done turn SSH off and you're gtg.

I would suggest setting up plex in a jail and seeing how much trouble it will be to migrate your setup over to it. You could run the plugin from it's current state and begin setting up the jail version over time till you are happy with it then just nuke the plugin. It's a little extra work but I see less headache in the long run. Since you can have the jail and plugin running on FreeNAS in two separate jails there really is no downside to try it out rather than continue to beat your head against a wall.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 11.59.20 AM.png

Following Jailer's advice, I've checked the SSH Settings, and all appropriate boxes were already checked. (see image)

This will allow you to log in using your root account to upload the file using an SFTP connection.
Could you provide stepped instructions to accomplish this?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Download PuTTY and connect your your freenas using your freenas ip address. Enter root for the user and your password when prompted.
Type:
Code:
jls
and make note of the jail ID number assigned to your plex jail.
type:
Code:
jexec plex-jail-ID-number tcsh
and you will be in your plex jail. The prompt should say root@plexmediaserver_1
type:
Code:
ee PMS_Updater.sh 
you should see the contents of your PMS_Updater file. Delete everything there and replace it with the contents from the text file I attached earlier in this post.
Hit Esc and save changes.
type:
Code:
./PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a
and let the update run.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Download PuTTY and connect your your freenas using your freenas ip address. Enter root for the user and your password when prompted.
Type:
Code:
jls
and make note of the jail ID number assigned to your plex jail.
type:
Code:
jexec plex-jail-ID-number tcsh
and you will be in your plex jail. The prompt should say root@plexmediaserver_1
type:
Code:
ee PMS_Updater.sh 
you should see the contents of your PMS_Updater file. Delete everything there and replace it with the contents from the text file I attached earlier in this post.
Hit Esc and save changes.
type:
Code:
./PMS_Updater.sh -u PlexPass_User -p PlexPass_password -a
and let the update run.
he doesn't have a plexpass account

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It will still update to the latest public version. Mine has been for the last 8 months with no username and password needed.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Wow! Almost there! I've been using Mac all along, didn't realize PuTTY ran only on PC. So I switched to my PC, got PuTTy, and I've progressed all the way to deleting the contents of the PMS_Updater file. Now, I'm just not sure how to insert the contents of the replacement file you provided. How do I paste the new contents into that file?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Copy the contents from the text file by clicking Ctrl+A to highlight all the text. Then just right click in the PuTTY window and it will paste the contents there.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Jailer,

Did everything you said in Putty, including the final command to update Plex. How long should it take for the update to run, and where will I see the evidence that it worked? My web GUI still says an update is available, and when I try to install the Plex app thru Apple TV, it still says update required??

BTW, using Terminal on my Mac, how do I connect to the Freeness IP?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Jailer,

Did everything you said in Putty, including the final command to update Plex. How long should it take for the update to run, and where will I see the evidence that it worked? My web GUI still says an update is available, and when I try to install the Plex app thru Apple TV, it still says update required??

ssh root@free.nas.ip.address

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Jailer,

It depends on the speed of your internet connection. Once it's done it will say "Done" several times in the terminal window. The Web GUI in Freenas will always say an update is availalbe. After it's complete look at the Plex Web GUI and check the server settings to see if the update took. It will display the version there.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 6.00.20 PM.png

This is a screen of my terminal program, following the commands suggested. As soon as I entered the last command, the next command line came up. There was no evidence of anything working in the background, or your statement that I should see Done repeatedly. Also, the Server settings in the Plex GUI show update still available.
View attachment 9420 View attachment 9420 View attachment 9420

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 6.04.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 6.04.21 PM.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 261

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
1. you might want to edit your email address out of your screenshots ;)

2. in the amount of time you have been trying to get the plugin updated, you could have already learned about installing plex in a jail using pkg and already installed the updated plex....

BeeoHat

Explorer
Pirateghost, thanks for the heads-up. You may be right. I did look thru the guide instructions, but decided my level of expertise/knowledge of terms was just not up to the task. I'd certainly love to get this resolved, or else it's back to Costco with the Apple TV.:(

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Pirateghost, thanks for the heads-up. You may be right. I did look thru the guide instructions, but decided my level of expertise/knowledge of terms was just not up to the task. I'd certainly love to get this resolved, or else it's back to Costco with the Apple TV.:(
you're already mucking around in a jail.

try this.

from freenas interface, go to jails.
add jail
name it
OK

when it is done, go into the terminal like you did with the plugin version.
jls
jexec <idofnewjail> tcsh
pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg install plexmediaserver
once that is done
echo plexmediaserver_enable="YES" >> /etc/rc.conf

service plexmediaserver start

as seen here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...all-plex-in-a-freenas-9-3-jail-updated.19412/

add your storage to point to your media files
if you want to transfer over your plex data, we can do that now too, just turn off plexmedia server service first.

from here on out, an update is going into the jail shell, and running pkg update && pkg upgrade
restart service and you're updated

BeeoHat

Explorer
Wow! I can't believe how helpful you guys are prepared to be, I'm amazed. I've already started on the first step, and it's setting up now. Unfortunately, my wife is also calling for dinner. Probably tomorrow b4 I can continue. Again, many thanks.:)

BeeoHat

Explorer
add your storage to point to your media files
I made it all the way to this point, but when I try to add storage (see image) and hit OK, it doesn't show up under jail storage.
if you want to transfer over your plex data, we can do that now too, just turn off plexmedia server service first.
What exactly do you mean by plex data? Is that something other than media files?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 1.16.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 1.16.55 PM.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 264

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I made it all the way to this point, but when I try to add storage (see image) and hit OK, it doesn't show up under jail storage.

What exactly do you mean by plex data? Is that something other than media files?
your screenshot shows a whole lot of duplicate storage mounts. I am not sure what you have going on there. does /mnt/MOVIES exist inside the jail? I usually mount to /media/<mediatype> inside my jails.

Plex data is the library, the watched status, etc. If you are not concerned about that, then you don't need to do anything.

One thing that looks odd is that you do not appear to have datasets for any of your media. Do you just run everything from folders within your main volume?

BeeoHat

Explorer
I have to admit that my son initially installed Freenas for me, as I'm pretty well a newbie to all this (as you no doubt can tell:))
does /mnt/MOVIES exist inside the jail?
Is there any screen shot I can attach which would answer your question?
you do not appear to have datasets for any of your media
I'm not sure what datasets are, but the existing Plex Plugin seems to work fine (except that it needs to be updated, which is where my whole problem started in the first place.
Do you just run everything from folders within your main volume?
I assume I do. It seems to work.

If you could walk me thru the completion of the Add Storage box (refer image), I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 3.08.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 3.08.29 PM.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 263
Status
Not open for further replies.