Can't set server min protocol to any value in CLI

tannisroot

Dabbler
Hi, I'm using Cobia 23.10.1 (updated recently) and trying to set `server min protocol` in auxillarry parameters to 3_11 using cli with the command sharing smb update ID (where ID is my share id).
I've tried adding `server min protocol = SMB3_11` per smb.conf manpage, then `server min protocol = 3_11`, tried setting it to 2, 3, tried using alias `min protocol`, no matter what I try I get an error that it's an invalid parameter:

Screenshot from 2023-12-22 15-35-37.png

What am I doing wrong and can how I define the min protocol version properly?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I don't understand trying to set minimum protocol. Is this a compliance requirement? It will break many SMB clients. Regardless, minimum protocol is defined globally and not at share level. If you look at manpages for smb.conf file you will notice that some parameters have a (G) next to them, this means global-only.

tannisroot

Dabbler
I don't understand trying to set minimum protocol. Is this a compliance requirement? It will break many SMB clients. Regardless, minimum protocol is defined globally and not at share level. If you look at manpages for smb.conf file you will notice that some parameters have a (G) next to them, this means global-only.
I understand that, it's just for whatever reason, if I don't specify minimum protocol version, reflinking doesn't work (my guess is the client, which is gnome's nautilus, for whatever reason not interested in using higher protocol version despite supporting it), and I would prefer to set it globally for the share.
In any case, do you maybe happen to know how I would set that option globally through CLI, seeing how you can't do it in GUI anymore?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I understand that, it's just for whatever reason, if I don't specify minimum protocol version, reflinking doesn't work (my guess is the client, which is gnome's nautilus, for whatever reason not interested in using higher protocol version despite supporting it), and I would prefer to set it globally for the share.
In any case, do you maybe happen to know how I would set that option globally through CLI, seeing how you can't do it in GUI anymore?
It's set at service-level, not share level. Generally, kernel SMB client in Linux is a better choice (for instance does multichannel, server-side-copies, etc).

tannisroot

Dabbler
It's set at service-level, not share level. Generally, kernel SMB client in Linux is a better choice (for instance does multichannel, server-side-copies, etc).
Thanks! That explains a lot.
Also, in case someone else needs to edit global smb configuration, you set a parameter by launching cli and then running service smb update smb_options="server min protocol = SMB3_11" where you replace server min protocol = SMB3_11 with whatever option you need set.
And if you want to add a second configuration on a "new line", just type it in a single line and add \n between config options, like so:
service smb update smb_options="server min protocol = SMB3_11\nworm:grace_period = 86400"
It's a shame the official documentations on this is empty.