Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Sonos woes yet again

Thanks
It seems that Sonos problems have resurfaced.

Enabling SMB1 and NTLMv1 was working for me for a while but recently it stopped. I'm currently at 11.2-U5 but if memory serves, it seems to have broken the moment I upgraded from either from 11.x or 9.x to 11.2. I used to have SMB1 enabled by manually entering it in auxiliary configuration but since the addition of the checkbox, I've been using that. I have verified by looking at /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf that the correct configuration is in there regardless ("server min protocol = NT1" and "ntlm auth = yes").

I found a recommendation to set the tunable freenas.services.smb.config.server.min_protocol to NT1, which I attempted but that affected nothing.

I have also tried setting server min protocol = CORE which also affected nothing, even if I likewise adjusted the aforementioned tunable.

I have updated the Music Library, no luck.

No matter what, Sonos still reports the following error:

The share \\SERVER\music does not exist.

Anyone else experiencing this yet again?

pschatz100

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks
There is a lot of discussion on the Sonos site about this issue. It appears that Sonos has implemented a way to share via http: instead of using SMBv1. Maybe that could be an alternative? It does not appear that they expect to support newer versions of Samba anytime soon. There must be a technical reason for that.

I am new to Sonos, which is why this thread caught my attention. I use Plex, which works OK with Sonos.

Thanks
There is a lot of discussion on the Sonos site about this issue. It appears that Sonos has implemented a way to share via http: instead of using SMBv1. Maybe that could be an alternative? It does not appear that they expect to support newer versions of Samba anytime soon. There must be a technical reason for that.

I am new to Sonos, which is why this thread caught my attention. I use Plex, which works OK with Sonos.
Thanks for pointing this out. Would you mind sharing a few links?

pschatz100

FreeNAS Guru
Thanks
I just searched for Sonos SMBv1 problems, and quite a few threads came up. Clearly, this is not a new issue with Sonos. Supposedly, in the newest version of their app, one can set up sharing via http:. I don't have any experience with it myself.

I have been using Plex for a very long time to host my media, and there are a number of options for Sonos and Plex to work together. I never tried anything else.

Thanks
IMO, SMB has always been a very poor file sharing protocol. With all the attempts of understanding I have thrown at it (going back over 2 decades), I am nevertheless kind of sad to see it go but it seems even Microsoft is tired of it. Still, it boggles the mind as to why Sonos is restricting access to SMBv1, especially when it was working just fine with SMBv2 for so long. If memory serves, I think the restriction surfaced shortly after SMBv3.1.1 was released, but it's still a mystery why SMBv1 was chosen.

As far as I can tell, I could use WebDAV in FreeNAS, but the authorization mechanism is such that it only supports 1 user for all WebDAV shares. Would be nice if it could be configured per share. It seems that's my only option for built-in HTTP server support.

I will have a look at Plex.