SOLVED Can't replace USB boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorious1

Guru
I got a message that one of my volumes was degraded. Turned out to be the mirrored USB boot volume. One was not working. Weird thing is, it was physically missing - I couldn't find it. I thought I had it on the USB port on the motherboard, but it wasn't anywhere. Evaporated.

I shut down, took out the USB drive; indeed it couldn't boot.
Shut down, put it back in along with a new one (exact same model), it boots (after I fought with IPMI and BIOS for a while)
Tried to replace the bad drive, but the dialog says please wait, nothing happens. Eventually the dialog disappears but the drive is not replaced.

Any idea why?

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 4.09.30 PM.png

D

dlavigne

That screen is for replacing storage disks (not the boot device).

Instead, reinstall the same version to the new boot device and restore your saved configuration.

Glorious1

Guru
Thanks for the reply, but I'm confused. I got to that screen through System > Boot > Status, and it says Boot Status at the top. How could that be for storage disks?

How do I remove the missing device from the mirror, and add the new one? If I click the Detach button at the bottom instead of Replace, I get this error:

Request Method: POST

Request URL: https://192.168.0.102/system/bootenv/pool/detach/1037103066295895683/

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U4 (89e3d93bc)

Exception Type: ClientException

Exception Value:
[EINVAL] Failed to find vdev for 1037103066295895683

Exception Location: /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py in call, line 421

Server time: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 06:13:33 -0600

D

dlavigne

My bad (need more coffee...)

I'd still recommend backing up the config, doing a fresh install to the new boot mirror, and restoring the config.

Glorious1

Guru
OK, I'll give that a shot. Would you expect that would automatically delete the missing device and recreate the mirror with the new device? That would be surprising.

D

dlavigne

During the install you can choose to install to a mirror. I've found that the replacing using the UI tends to be fragile.

Glorious1

Guru
Thanks dlavigne, finally got it going that way. Took about 3 hours because I was trying to use the virtual CD through IPMI, it kept getting hung up during boot, also I learned that the front panel USB ports on my server don't work for this sort of thing. It sure would have been a lot easier if I could have just replaced the USB flash drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.