Can't remove/delete user or group

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmccullough

Patron
I have an old user and group I created before I knew what I wanted. I would like to delete this user and group. I can remove it from the command line using the pw command, and these changes are reflected in /etc/passwd and /etc/group, however the user/group does not appear to be updated in the FreeNAS GUI/WebUI. Also, when I look at files previously owned by the old user, they show the user/group name instead of the UID/GID. Any ideas why I can't delete a user/group from the WebUI and why changes made on the command line do not appear to get applied? I have also tried rebooting and the changes in /etc/passwd and /etc/group get reverted.

Running FreeNAS 11.2 RC2.

I can also go create a ticket, but figured I would ask here first.

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Use the UI as the passwd and group files are updated by the middleware. If you want to use pw, then you need to consider using FreeBSD instead.

rmccullough

Patron
Updating via the UI doesn't work. I have 2 problems:
1) Sometimes the "delete" option doesn't display in the menu for deleting a group
2) When the "delete" option is available for a user or group, I can select it and I get the confirmation prompt. I check the confirm checkbox and click ok, I get the spinner for a few seconds, then shows the user/group list. If I search, I still see the group I wanted to delete.

I submitted a defect (it might be private right now): https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/61098

rmccullough

Patron
How can you change a username? It doesn't seem like that is allowed in the WebUI.

rmccullough

Patron

rmccullough

Patron
What if I do a clean FreeNAS 11.2 install? Could I re-attach my pool? Will my jails and their associated configuration be retained? Is there a better way to fix this?

rmccullough

Patron
Anyone have any other ideas on how I might be able to fix this situation? Not really even sure how I got into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.