Can't (re)Mirror Boot Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
Good morning,

I screwed up my system and had to boot of my mirrored boot drive. System came right back up; so thank you to all of you who put so much time into making sure things like this work!

I'm now booted of /dev/ada1 and have detached /dev/ada0 from the mirror. zpool status says everything is good so I'm trying to recreate the mirror and having a problem doing so. I've zeroed the disk with dd, destroyed the partition with gpart and even pulled the drive into another box to test and wipe there but still, can't add to the mirror.

Please see attached and hopefully someone can point me off in the right direction!

Thanks in advance,

-brian

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 9.42.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 9.42.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 9.42.41 AM.png

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
No, I was not...

Shortly after posting this thread I realized the days on the scrub was bogus so I downloaded a copy of the config files (just in case), made sure all my backups were current and started a scrub. After a full 24 hours the scrub had not moved at all so I suspect something more serious was going on.

I booted from an install ISO and did a full test on the 2x30GB SSD's that FreeNAS lives on and they tested good. I can't boot my machine from USB, hence the SSD's. Anyway, make a long story short I gave up trying to fix it. I reinstalled, restored my config, mirrored freenas-boot and all was good. All data and shares were fine and checksummed with the backups perfectly. Thankfully, no data loss.

The whole problem was caused because I had ftp'd in a bunch of data anonymously (not thinking) and filled up /nonexistant which of course lives on freenas-boot.

Guarantee, I won't make that mistake again but this exactly why I keep backups :)

Status
Not open for further replies.