11.2-U5 boot mirror drive replacement

harlan

Cadet
I've got a box that I've upgraded to 11.2-U5. I noticed that one of the drives in the boot mirror, a 2.5" Momentus, was showing an end-to-end error.

No problem, I have spare small drives. So I detach the drive, remove it, cable up a replacement, and attach it.

The freenas-boot pool shows the mirror using /dev/ada0p2, and after I attach the replacement drive I see that the 2nd drive is mirrored as /dev/ada1, not /dev/ada1p2.

So I detach that, and run:

gpart backup /dev/ada0 | gpart restore /dev/ada1

and then I re-attach ada1 to the freenas-boot pool. The "Boot Pool Status" now shows the freenas-boot mirror as containing /dev/ada0p2 and /dev/ada1p2. Yay. But I have no indication that /dev/ada1p1 contains a boot loader. I'm not finding anything in the documentation about this.

I gather grub is no longer the way to go, and I'm not seeing in the FreeNAS docs if the answer is boot0cfg, or something else.

What do I need to do to make sure the freebsd-boot (p1) partition has the right stuff in it?

harlan

Cadet
not yet. If the answer is already in the docs, I haven't found it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I've got a box that I've upgraded to 11.2-U5. I noticed that one of the drives in the boot mirror, a 2.5" Momentus, was showing an end-to-end error.

No problem, I have spare small drives. So I detach the drive, remove it, cable up a replacement, and attach it.

The freenas-boot pool shows the mirror using /dev/ada0p2, and after I attach the replacement drive I see that the 2nd drive is mirrored as /dev/ada1, not /dev/ada1p2.

So I detach that, and run:

gpart backup /dev/ada0 | gpart restore /dev/ada1

and then I re-attach ada1 to the freenas-boot pool. The "Boot Pool Status" now shows the freenas-boot mirror as containing /dev/ada0p2 and /dev/ada1p2. Yay. But I have no indication that /dev/ada1p1 contains a boot loader. I'm not finding anything in the documentation about this.

I gather grub is no longer the way to go, and I'm not seeing in the FreeNAS docs if the answer is boot0cfg, or something else.

What do I need to do to make sure the freebsd-boot (p1) partition has the right stuff in it?
The easy way would have been too use the gui. You should remove the disk and wipe it. Then replace the missing disk using the gui.