SOLVED Can't ping Truenas on mesh network

My home network is set up with a mesh WiFi system, this is not by choice as trying to run Ethernet in my walls was not successful due to the central air system. I've been over all my IP configs for the devices connected to the secondary router and everything matches. I can ping devices between the two routers and virtual machines hosted on the truenas, but not the truenas itself. I have a network bridge configured so that I can set up VMs on the NAS. i've run nmap to sniff out visible IPs on my LAN and not everything will show, even devices that are ping-able. I can ping and access the truenas only if im connected to the switch/router adjacent to the truenas.

default gateway is 192.168.4.1
truenas13 ip is 192.168.5.138/22
vm ip is 192.168.5.125/22
workstation computer 192.168.4.211/22

Let me know if more information is needed, I'm tinkering with this after work.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why /22?

hardware is as listed

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
MB: Aorus x570 PRO WiFi
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB)
HDD Storage: 4 x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM
Boot Device: SSSTC 128GB Gen3 NVME Drive

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wait a minute, are you running the server off of WiFi? As in, using the WiFi on your motherboard?

Wait a minute, are you running the server off of WiFi? As in, using the WiFi on your motherboard?
No. I wasn't aware that was even possible. The TrueNAS is plugged into a 48port switch and the switch is getting internet from the mesh router.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No. I wasn't aware that was even possible.
That's because it's closer to not being possible than it is to being possible - but it would explain odd network behavior.

So, what is and isn't working?
  1. Ping the TrueNAS host without traversing WiFi
  2. Ping VMs and/or jails on the TrueNAS machine without traversing WiFi
  3. Ping the TrueNAS host by traversing WiFi
  4. Ping VMs and/or jails on the TrueNAS machine by traversing WiFi

That's because it's closer to not being possible than it is to being possible - but it would explain odd network behavior.

So, what is and isn't working?
  1. Ping the TrueNAS host without traversing WiFi
  2. Ping VMs and/or jails on the TrueNAS machine without traversing WiFi
  3. Ping the TrueNAS host by traversing WiFi
  4. Ping VMs and/or jails on the TrueNAS machine by traversing WiFi
maybe i wasnt coherent enough in my first post. apologies.

1) I can ping truenas without wifi via wired ethernet.
2) i can ping VMs with wired ethernet
3) i can not ping the wost traversing wifi
4) I can ping VMs traversing wifi

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks like my message got lost, so time to rewrite it:
Given your scenario, I have to blame the network for… something? Is it the same client that’s working on one end and not working on the other end? If so, that points to some weird thing going on with the WiFi. If not, maybe an odd misconfiguration that slipped through?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wow, that's a new low. I was going to make a statement about that Eero stuff, but I fear it's not appropriate for polite company.

Wow, that's a new low. I was going to make a statement about that Eero stuff, but I fear it's not appropriate for polite company.
Don't be shy, we're all thinking the same thing. I knew I did not like Amazon services but now I ~REALLY~ despise them.

Spoke with my ISP who provided the eero router. They turned off ad block and now it seems to be working... Not sure if this would work with others that are having issues with jails, but I can access my SMB shares from any node in the house now.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Spoke with my ISP who provided the eero router. They turned off ad block and now it seems to be working... Not sure if this would work with others that are having issues with jails, but I can access my SMB shares from any node in the house now.
o_O That makes no sense whatsoever. Glad things are working, though...

o_O That makes no sense whatsoever. Glad things are working, though...
I was going to ask If I was an idiot for not trying to turn off ad blocking. Good to know others are just as confused as I am.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler