Can't move folders "open in another program"

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Richardson

Explorer
Hi all,

Can't seem to move files around on my NAS.... everything - the same message. I disabled Plex and Transmission (the only two enabled services in Freenas but still the same message.

Any thoughts? Any way I can see what app is 'in use'?

Thanks!

D

dlavigne

Were you able to figure this out? If not, what utility were you using to try to move files?

John Richardson

Explorer
Thanks for your response...

I'm using Windows 8 (windows explorer)... trying to organize my download folder (everything that comes in via Transmission).

I even tried disabling Plex and Transmission in FreeNAS and then moving the files - no luck....

temp.png

Whattteva

Wizard
I think I've run across your issue before. I'm gonna' guess that it's actually not that the file is open. It's more the fact that you don't have permissions.
I've realized this with transmissions that it will create new files it downloads with correct permissions.
However, as soon as the new files it downloads has sub-folders, it will mess those permissions up and create them with permissions that will not allow you to move them around.

Check those permissions from the shell with
Code:
ls -l

John Richardson

Explorer
Thanks in advance for the advice - I'm a little new to this..... should I change media from nobody/nogroup to root/wheel?

temp2.png

Whattteva

Wizard
Sorry, guess I should be more specific. Is the media folder the folder where transmission is downloading stuff into?
You want to execute
Code:
cd /media/folder/for/transmission
first wherever that is.
THEN, run
Code:
ls -l
in it.

John Richardson

Explorer
Sorry - just a couple more newb questions....
1) should I be in the shell (accessed in the main page), or the shell accessed by highlighting the transmission jail?
2) how do i list directories (eg, in DOS it's dir)

THANKS!

Whattteva

Wizard
It looks like all those files are owned by transmission and nogroup. What user are you logging into the share as in Windows?

Whattteva

Wizard
Lol wut? Doesn't it prompt you for a user/pass when you try to access the share?

Whattteva

Wizard
If it doesn't, then that means you're logged in as Guest, in which case then it makes perfect sense why all you have is read-only access.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Lol wut? Doesn't it prompt you for a user/pass when you try to access the share?

It could be the same Username/Password combination as the Windows User Account...

John Richardson

Explorer
Ha - Yea I don't know - I just pointed a folder to //FractalNAS and there I was.

How would I go about looking / changing that... could I set it to just log in as root?

Whattteva

Wizard
It could be the same Username/Password combination as the Windows User Account...
Ah yeah, there's that too.

Ha - Yea I don't know - I just pointed a folder to //FractalNAS and there I was.

How would I go about looking / changing that... could I set it to just log in as root?
You could change the login information by mapping it as a network drive (should appear as an option when you're in my computer explorer window) instead of browsing to it.
It may tell you that you're already logged in, in which case you're going to have to disconnect the current share... don't remember the exact format. I think it's
Code:
NET put_your_share_name_here /D
Someone else may know the exact format. Sorry, I don't have a windows box handy by me.

John Richardson

Explorer
Ok - So I did this...

In windows explorer right clicked on the mapped drive, clicked connect using different credentials, signed in with root and my 'pass' and the drive came back up.

Still getting the same error trying to cut/paste files... :/

temp4.png

John Richardson

Explorer
So I can write other things in the drive... even inside the folder where the transmission downloads are going... I created a folder, put a word doc in there... all saved fine. ???

Della

Explorer
Hi

i have the same problem
i'm OSX user and if transmission auto create a sub folders i can't rename or move the file into sub folders
i'm loggin in with an user creating (iMac)

if via ssh log in by Cyberduck (as root user) i can do everything

unfortunately OSX does not natively support ssh

do you know user and password of transmission??

with that username and password transmissin create subfolders?
I knew I could if I were to access the share with user and password specific and solve this problem...

sorry for english

Whattteva

Wizard
Ok - So I did this...

In windows explorer right clicked on the mapped drive, clicked connect using different credentials, signed in with root and my 'pass' and the drive came back up.

Still getting the same error trying to cut/paste files... :/

temp4.png
Sorry, I was out of town for a while. Anyway, so you can create new files in there, but NOT delete or modify existing files? Can you delete/modify existing files in other directories, too?
In that same directory (Media), run this:
Code:
ls -ld .

Whattteva

Wizard
Hi

i have the same problem
i'm OSX user and if transmission auto create a sub folders i can't rename or move the file into sub folders
i'm loggin in with an user creating (iMac)

if via ssh log in by Cyberduck (as root user) i can do everything

unfortunately OSX does not natively support ssh

do you know user and password of transmission??

with that username and password transmissin create subfolders?
I knew I could if I were to access the share with user and password specific and solve this problem...

sorry for english
The problem I think both of you are having is the fact that transmission creates any new files/folders with the uid/gid of transmission/nogroup.
There are several ways to fix this:
  1. Changing the user that transmission daemon starts as.
  2. Changing the uid of the folder that things are downloaded into.
  3. Changing the permissions of existing files.
Note that 1 and 2 will fix only future files; while 3 will fix only existing files.

Status
Not open for further replies.