SOLVED Can't mount NFS shares on my linux machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A CIFS share will allow you to traverse the datasets.

Setting up a plugin or jail to have access doesn't really have anything to do with shares.

I'm not sure I understand why you would think that you have to create a share before you create a dataset.

Your shares should be at the dataset level.

tumblingthrough

Dabbler
Thanks all, especially pirateghost, SweetAndLow & scwst

I understand now where I'd gone wrong. A dataset is not a directory, but to a noob it can act is if it is one sometimes, which is one of the things that led me in the wrong direction.

I've been using a linux laptop for ten years, but my knowledge is ad hoc, when I started out on FreeBSD last month I had no idea if it was very similar to linux as an OS or as different as is OSX or even Windows. I know under linux what a share is, but followed the guides in using the wizard to set up the shares (the wizard talks about shares, not the datasets that it sets up at the same time) and then set up datasets underneath them. I thought it was a function of FreeBSD that shares weren't quite what they are under linux etc and that I needed datasets for data underneath the shares. Talk of datasets is obviously new too, and it needed pointing out to me that NFS wouldn't traverse beyond a single dataset. It's taken me about 6 hours to figure this out, I told my gf that it was going to be something really simple, it's always like that when learning something new.

I'm reconfiguring my share, dataset and directory set up as I write.

Cheers again.

Status
Not open for further replies.