Cant install Plex - ffmpeg Failed to Install

Angelic

Cadet
I am having trouble installing the official Plex plugin Version: 1.32.8.7639 on a dedicated hardware Truenas device (not VM).
Platform: TRUENAS-MINI-3.0-X+
Version: TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1

I am using the default values for the install and getting the following errors:
Error: ffmpeg Failed to Install
Error: Plex had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: pkg error: - ffmpeg : Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! Partial plugin destroyed

I have seen this post with the same problem back in 2022, but no clear answer except for perhaps installing manually and not with the plugin.
I'm not sure how to try this manually.

Anyone else have a solution?

Attachments

• plex-error2.png
    plex-error2.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 83
  • truenas-error1.png
    truenas-error1.png
    15 KB · Views: 94

Angelic

Cadet
And the script makes it real easy to update pkgs and such in the jail. Plugins have never worked well, and are set to be deprecated by 2025.
Do you have some instructions on how to install these scripts? Im not an advanced user here. A dedicated post on how to install these would be great!

Angelic

Cadet
Im still needing moderator approval to post messages here. This isnt very efficient. Sure wish the forum admin can get some antispam solution other than this.

GMUDuckman

Cadet
Ran into the same error and have run into error previously - this tutorial (not made by me) works for me every time, for those who find scripting daunting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7lAyy-MlJk
@victort - obviously you are under no obligation to do so, but a YouTube video on how to use your script may be helpful for some noobs, even though, as you say in your instructions, a lot of the setup is dependent on your preferences. I'd image most noobs have a similar out-of-the-box setup.

victort

Guru
I might just do that for the scripts, since they are all similar.

But its just a few simple steps, and fairly easy to learn.

1. Open the “Shell” tab in the WEBUI
2. Change to a directory (I usually do /usr/local) cd /usr/local
3. Clone the repo git clone https://github.com/danb35/freenas-iocage-plex
4. Enter the newly created directory cd freenas-iocage-plex
5. Create a config file edit plex-config It needs to be called this
5. Paste in the below info, adjusting your IP and gateway as needed
Code:
JAIL_IP="192.168.1.75"
DEFAULT_GW_IP="192.168.1.1"
POOL_PATH="/mnt/mypool/apps/plex"
PLEX_MEDIA_PATH="/mnt/mypool/apps/plex/media"

Once finished, hit ESC, then ENTER to save the file
6. Create dataset underneath you pool called “apps”
7. Create dataset under “apps” called “plex” The POOL_PATH in the config file should stay as /mnt/mypool/apps
8. From the freenas-iocage-plex (which you should already be in) run script plex.log ./plex-jail.sh

Last edited:

Angelic

Cadet
Ok I found another solution. After going through other sources and forums online this seems to be a reoccuring complaint, coming to the conclusion that the built in install scripts are no longer supported and probably wont be in TrueNAS CORE even though they have the 2025 EOL. A major complaint is that TrueNAS still has these plugins showing as if they are a viable option to install in CORE, which they are not at least by the GUI installer.

The solution: upgrade to TrueNAS scale. The plugins work and are supported.
Upgrade CORE to the latest publicly-available release before attempting to migrate from CORE to SCALE
You can upgrade in the order of: CORE -> BLUEFIN ->COBIA (if you want) but not CORE to COBIA.

Thanks @Victort for the install script help but it was a little too much for me, I didnt want to spend any more time on it.
So far everything works fine on COBIA.

rstoc

Cadet
stupid question i'm sure... while running the 'script' above, it says attempting to bootstrap in the latest update - but the new jail can't do a DNS lookup... [cant resolve the dns name] how do i tell the new jail it is creating to use 8.8.8.8 for example?

marcnz

Cadet
I would suggest you try the script linked in my signature. Plugins don’t work anymore.
Hi,
Thank you for your effort trying to help all the users like me having issues.
However, on TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 this script fails:

root@truenas[~]# cd freenas-iocage-plex
root@truenas[~/freenas-iocage-plex]# ./plex-jail.sh
Plex metadata path not set, defaulting to /mnt/big/plex_data
Plex media path is /mnt/big/plex_media, the script will mount this into /media inside the Plex jail
Not configuring hardware transcode
Using stable-release plexmediaserver code
Creating jail pms. This may take a minute, please be patient.
13.1-RELEASE was not found!
Failed to create jail

I hope this error output will help.
Thank you again.

marcnz

Cadet
Hi @rstoc, Yes I did set up myu default gateway in TrueNAS network settings. As it was a relatively fresh install, I discarded it and installed TrueNAS Scale instead. Working through that one at the moment.
Thank you very much for your very fast response. That is impressive :)

rstoc

Cadet
i was able to get it working, but i had to go into the plex-jail.sh file and add dhcp="yes" [and remove the static ip / gateway] to the iocage create command. Setting static network info did not work for whatever reason for me.

Next question would be, next time there is an update - is the process the same, if I wanted to keep my existing configuration both for the jail and within the plex application itself? How does the upgrade process differ from the initial setup using this method?

Thanks for the help.

victort

Guru
i was able to get it working, but i had to go into the plex-jail.sh file and add dhcp="yes" [and remove the static ip / gateway] to the iocage create command. Setting static network info did not work for whatever reason for me.

Next question would be, next time there is an update - is the process the same, if I wanted to keep my existing configuration both for the jail and within the plex application itself? How does the upgrade process differ from the initial setup using this method?

Thanks for the help.
The update process would be as simple as pkg update && pkg upgrade from inside the jail. The script just does all the manual work that you would normally have to do, automatically. Unlike plugins, which require the maintainer to update the plugin, these scripts install the necessary services, and off you go. From there you can update at any time with the above commands.

The beauty about these scripts is that they create an easily manageable, upgradeable, and updatable environment. If you have all your files stored outside the jail, and mount them to the jail, that allows for easy jail deletion and recreation without actually losing any of your files.

adcom26

Cadet
Hi,
Thank you for your effort trying to help all the users like me having issues.
However, on TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1 this script fails:

root@truenas[~]# cd freenas-iocage-plex
root@truenas[~/freenas-iocage-plex]# ./plex-jail.sh
Plex metadata path not set, defaulting to /mnt/big/plex_data
Plex media path is /mnt/big/plex_media, the script will mount this into /media inside the Plex jail
Not configuring hardware transcode
Using stable-release plexmediaserver code
Creating jail pms. This may take a minute, please be patient.
13.1-RELEASE was not found!
Failed to create jail

I hope this error output will help.
Thank you again.
Hello,
I have the same problem did you find the solution please ?