Can't Create a Pool - Boot Pool Used Full Disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corn

Cadet
Hi all,

First time setting up TrueNAS or anything of this kind. A bit lost on certain things, hoping for some clarification with a specific issue surrounding my boot-pool and creation of pools. Did not see anything in my multiple forum searches :)

Version:
TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1

After installation completed and I logged into the UI I attempted to create a pool in the Pool Manager. The first thing I noticed is that there is only one single disk showing within the pool and it has a capacity of zero.

1705204878027.png

I poked around a bit further and went into Disks. In Disks I see I created the boot-pool with the full capacity for the drive. If it's relevant I installed TrueNAS on an old Dell PC with a single HDD.

1705204954893.png

My guess here is I should have made the boot pool smaller so I could have space for other things? Or am I completely misunderstanding things here? Main point is how exactly do I rectify this outside of a full reinstall? I mean a full reinstall wouldn't be so bad, but I wanted to potentially learn this system some more and see what options were available to me.

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
poked around a bit further and went into Disks. In Disks I see I created the boot-pool with the full capacity for the drive.
Yes, that is how it works.
Main point is how exactly do I rectify this outside of a full reinstall?
You don't, the boot pool requires a full disk, for reasons that have been widely discussed. Several options exist for actually implementing this, but given the high-level description of your machine, they're going to revolve around USB for you.

oxyde

Contributor
When installing TN, in the moment you choose the disk for boot, system advice you about that.
If you have enough SATA port available, just buy a little SSD (i have one about 60gb, 6€, more than enough for boot), otherwise not all USB pen are good for install and boot TN

danb35

Hall of Famer
Did not see anything in my multiple forum searches :)
Aside from the fact that installer itself tells you this, I'm surprised your forum searches didn't find this:

Corn

Cadet
Not interested in receiving anymore advice from the friendly folks on this forum. Heaven forbid someone is new to this and has basic questions. No no no we better answer sarcastically and single them out for not being perfect human beings. I'll just figure out things on my own.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's fine, metaphorically shooting the messenger because you don't like the message is your problem. No one was actually rude to you in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.