Cannot attach second USB drive to boot pool - ERROR NoneType object is not subscriptable

stmcknig

Dabbler
Upgraded from 12.x to 13.0 and figured it might be wise to add a mirror USB stick to my boot pool.

Having seen issues with not using the same make/size/brand I got a second Samsung Cruze 32GB to match the original. However following the steps to Attach. after a pause I get the error above

CleanShot 2022-05-16 at 15.14.49@2x.png

I also tried going into the Disks option and Wipe for the newly added drive.Still same message.

Here are the details from the boot pool and storage for the two relevant drives. Is this a known issue in 13 or is there a workaround besides doing a reinstall against each USB stick ?

CleanShot 2022-05-16 at 17.21.30@2x.png

CleanShot 2022-05-16 at 17.22.17@2x.png

ThreeDee

Guru
well .. aside from the fact that USB drives are not recommended for booting from anymore .. maybe delete your 1st 7 boot environments from your drive and then try mirroring it again ... 12.0-U8.1 was stable, so you don't need the rest.

stmcknig

Dabbler
What has replaced USB then? SD cards ? Curious I hadn’t seen mention of this change…

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
SSD in USB enclosure is probably better than regular USB stick. But these days, if motherboard is not too old to support it, simple NVMe can be not much more expensive, but more predictable. And in addition to booting it can also store regularly updating system dataset and swap partition.

ThreeDee

Guru
Seems a colossal waste for just a boot drive that doesn’t need or warrant that speed…I guess I could rustle up a couple of small SSD in usb enclosure but talk about overkill
I paid $10 for a 32GB M.2 drive that I use for boot .. on one of my older setups, I used a USB to SATA cable to power a 120GB SATA drive that I got for $10.
USB drives haven't been recommended for awhile now do to the increase of read/writes to the drive with newer versions of TrueNAS so there was a substantial increase in drives failing. You can still use your USB drive if you want .. but it's just not recommended

stmcknig

Dabbler
I’ve got a couple of 32GB SATA from another project I can use once I get a couple of usb to sata cables from you know where. Curious though if this error is caused by the media type though. Guess I will find out but a bunch of YouTubers seem to make it work as per the instructions…

stmcknig

Dabbler
OK, well installed first 32GB SSD and used the 13.0 ISO to do a clean install and then import my config back in.

Added a second 32GB SSD and tried the Attach option again after performing a wipe on the second SSD.

Same exact error message, so although I'm now out of the USB thumb drive woods, the problem remains....

Any more detailed logs I can review that might help ?

stmcknig

Dabbler
Found this in middlewared.log

[2022/05/14 14:52:21] (ERROR) middlewared.job.run():367 - Job <bound method accepts.<locals>.wrap.<locals>.nf of <middlewared.plugins.boot.BootService object at 0x81baa6a90>> failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 391, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/boot.py", line 109, in attach
'path': f'/dev/{zfs_dev_part["name"]}'
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable

jackdinn

Contributor
Ok, same problem. Please no "you need to buy whatever" because i don't have "whatever" I really wish i did but i don't. Plus I'm just tinkering with the hardware i have. Unless anyone has a little hardware setup they can send me :tongue:

I do however have this problem.
Attach Device
Error: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
I tried after my first install with 2x16G sticks, same error.
I went to the shops and get 2x32G sticks (exact same sticks), same error.
Wiped stick, same error.
I reinstalled whole NAS, same error.

So im wondering what is this "U1" and how do i get it?

Thx.

Version:
TrueNAS-13.0-RELEASE

jackdinn

Contributor
Cool, thx.

Off topic, but can i just ask where those logs are found? (middlewared.log) I searched and searched.

sretalla