Can't access Freenas on Windows 7 machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

watha

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x64. It was working fine until recently, when I took down my network to move everything to a different location. I've got it all hooked up again, and my Freenas folder appears on my Windows 7 desktop, just as it's supposed to. I also have access to the browser interface on my Windows desktop, so I can change the various software settings. But now when I click on the Freenas folder on my Windows machine, I'm asked for a username and password. I never set up a password; didn't see the need. But now it tells me I need one or I can't get to my stuff. Anybody seen this before? What does one do about it? Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
In the settings under "SHARING", make sure you have allowed guest access. In fact, you may want to checkmark "allow guest access only".

joeschmuck

Old Man
Me thinks that it wasn't just a simple power down, relocate the equipment, and power up. Something changed even if you are not aware of what you changed. I'm not sure why permissions on the FreeNAS shares would have changed but DrKK is right to check that first.

watha

Dabbler
In the settings under "SHARING", make sure you have allowed guest access. In fact, you may want to checkmark "allow guest access only".
Sounds like a plan. Are these the settings in the FreeNAS browser interface you're talking about? Thanks much!

Joeschmuck, I didn't change any of my settings, not knowingly anyway. But if I can easily put things back, all's well that ends well. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help.

DVitoD

Explorer
I can confirm OP's problem: took the box offline this afternoon to add 3 more HDD's to it, making sure original disks remained in the same SATA-ports. Put it back on line: no access from within Windows 7 Pro, suddenly asking for UID/PWD. For sure nothing else changed: same hostname and domain, same static IP (assigned by my pfSense), same pool, same everything else.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Interesting. And, as far as I can surmise, impossible. I will be very interesting to get to the bottom of this.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I can confirm OP's problem: took the box offline this afternoon to add 3 more HDD's to it, making sure original disks remained in the same SATA-ports. Put it back on line: no access from within Windows 7 Pro, suddenly asking for UID/PWD. For sure nothing else changed: same hostname and domain, same static IP (assigned by my pfSense), same pool, same everything else.
I would submit a bug report on this and if you can repeat it, make sure you state it. This should not happen. I'm curious if the share setting had changed.

Please post what fixed it for you as well.

EDIT: Also post if you had recently upgraded your FreeNAS software and some info about your share, was it a windoze or unix share? I have rebooted my NAS many times today and I haven't seen this error.

watha

Dabbler
I found the "sharing" tab. The "allow guest access" and "allow guest access only" boxes were both checked. I unchecked them and checked them again, but it didn't matter. I'm still being asked for a non-existent username and password. Any other ideas? Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I found the "sharing" tab. The "allow guest access" and "allow guest access only" boxes were both checked. I unchecked them and checked them again, but it didn't matter. I'm still being asked for a non-existent username and password. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Watha:

Under the services tab, then under CIFS, click the settings. Does it say your guest account is "nobody"?

Also, did you make any changes, at all, to any dataset permissions, or to any user account permissions on the FreeNAS?

DVitoD

Explorer
Small update: I had to reset the user pwd: apparently, one way or the other, that was lost while adding HDD's.

Share settings are:
Windows share
Allow guest access
Guest account 'nobody'
Dataset permissions: owner (user): root, owner (group) DVitoD, permission type: Windows, permissions (mode) RWX for UGO.
Permissions of the CIFS-share in Windows: root: full, DVitoD: full, everyone: full

Now I have to admit I don't quite understand of all these permissions, it's rather complex to me, setting permissions on 5 places in FreeNAS :p

Nevertheless: the PWD for DVitoD in his user account on FreeNAS had to be reset in order to be able to browse the share from Windows again.

All I did was add three HDD's, nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.