FreeNAS not visible on Windows in list of network machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950) machine running in a windows network. I have CIFS configured and I can access the machine via \\freenas , and reading/writing is working fine. What I would like is for the FreeNAS machine to show up on the list of network machines in the 'Network' window where you see Computers/Media Devices/Printers. I don't see the FreeNAS server on either my Windows 7 or my SBS 2011 machines. Is there a way to make FreeNAS display in this interface?

Whattteva

Wizard
Yeah, I have the same problem both in 8.3 and 9.1.1. It typically only shows up in the network browser for the first 5-10 minutes after fresh reboot, then it disappears (still accessible by \\freenas).

I've posted about it several months back and couldn't come up with a solution so I've pretty much given up on it.
On the other hand, the print server I set up manually in the jail is pretty rock solid. I have yet to see it fail to show up when I open the network browser.
I haven't gotten' around to comparing the differences in configuration files between the samba service running on the FreeNAS and the one running in the jail.
One of these days, maybe I'll get around to doing that and hopefully figure out this glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.