Cannot Update PlexPass to current 1.18.3.2129 or 1.18.4.2171

siconic

Explorer
I have been trying to update Plex since early December, and running into major issues.

For version 1.18.3.2129:
1. I tried to update through Plugin Library in the GUI. No luck, get Error 500
2. I tried to update through command line, in jail, using pkg upgrade. No luck, Error 500
3. I tried to update through command line, using "iocage update plexmediaserver-plexpass". No luck, error 500

With each of those steps, I tried to run "sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=yes", and received a message that it was added, but then when I tried to use "service plexmediaserver-plexpass start" i got the error that it does not exist in the local startup.

The interesting thing, is I was able to restore functionality 2 ways:
1. Rollback a snapshot. This obviously works...
2. The interesting one:
Code:
cd /var/cache/pkg
pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.18.1.1973_1.txz

And that worked! So I tried the same thing with 1.18.3.2129:
Code:
cd /var/cache/pkg
pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.18.3.2129.txz

And it did not work! What I thought that told me was the 1.18.3.2129 update was hosed.

Unfortunately, I tried all the same things today with 1.18.4.2171, and same ended up with the same results, that I failed to apply the update, and had to roll back to version 1.18.1.1973.

Is there ANY solution to this, without having to rebuild Plex? Has anyone else had this problem?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have a look at this script... https://github.com/ryanakata/PMS_Updater

If that doesn't get you there, you probably need to just abandon that jail and make a new one (then use the script).

The pkg repository in FreeNAS jails is quarterly by default, so that results in folks seeing Plex telling them there's a new version when the pkg isn't yet available. The script gets around that, but still isn't a substitute for eventually running pkg update && pkg upgrade to catch the supporting packages like ffmpeg.

Depending how you've done it, you should be able to rescue your plex database out of the existing jail and put it in the new one and continue without loss of watched status and library content. (really the db should be outside your jail and just mounted in so you can easily refresh the jail in future... jail filesystems should be seen as disposable and contain nothing that you care about).

siconic

Explorer
Have a look at this script... https://github.com/ryanakata/PMS_Updater...

(really the db should be outside your jail and just mounted in so you can easily refresh the jail in future... jail filesystems should be seen as disposable and contain nothing that you care about).

I used to use the script to avoid these issues, but when I saw they integrated the Plugin better, I went with the Plugin version. I dont feel like I used the quarterly on my last update (maybe I did?) I always switch my repo to latest, run an update, and then go back to quarterly. Never had problems until now.

I would LOVE to do what you just descrived with the DB, having rebuilt my jail about 3 times now. That way I can put it on my DB disks, which should be faster and better suited to DB work. Is there a tutorial?

Thanks

siconic

Explorer
Just got this email from Plex, so maybe new Jail time... Even though I am on a version that will work, I hope they put out the update sooner than quarterly for those who have the old version.

Starting January 31st, Plex Media Server version 1.18.2 or higher will be required to continue fetching TV show posters and episode thumbnails from TheTVDB.

sretalla