Cannot start MinIO service

Fred974

Contributor
Hi,

I am building a brand new FreeNAS Server and I am not sure if I came accross a bug or if its the way I set things up.
I have 1x RAIDZ2 pool make of 4x SAS HDD and I have created a few dataset that all accessible and working.
The issue that I have is:
If I create a MinIO dataset at the top level of my pool, I have no issue starting the S3 service.
/mnt/z2_bunker/s3demo
If I create the MinIO dataset in a nested dataset, then I cannot start the S3 service
/mnt/z2_bunker/trinitech/backups/MinIO
And I have the following error message in the
tail /var/log/minio.log
Code:
ERROR Unable to initialize backend: Unable to write to the backend
      > Please ensure MinIO binary has write permissions for the backend
      HINT:
        Verify if MinIO binary is running as the same user who has write permissions for the backend

Based on the error message above, I looked at the dataset permission but everything look good to me

eNYuVS.jpg

Q4HLRy.jpg

The permission from /mnt/z2_bunker/trinitech/backups has a different user and group. Is it possible that it is somehow overwriting the MinIO dataset?

Thank you all in advance.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For the MinIO service to write to its dataset, it needs to traverse the parent dataset. If the parent dataset doesn't have explicit permissions for the minio user, then the service won't be able to reach the child dataset.

Fred974

Contributor
@Samuel Tai thank you for your reply.
Can you please tell me how do I set it so minio user can traverse the parent dataset?

Thank you

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Why does it MinIO dataset need to be underneath another dataset? The simplest option is just to have it at the top level.