Cannot Import Volume. . .HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djohnston

Cadet
So we had a FreeNas Device running on a usb drive with a hardware base raid card giving us a 18TB Lun. So during maintenance we reboot the machine and it turns out the USB drive went bad. So we got another installation and then we went to the auto import function and the drive was not available. So when we went to the manual import we have no idea what the configuration was. (the guy who did it isn't around anymore)

I have no idea what to do. I don't know if it is a zfs or ufs drive. I ran a gpart show mfid0 and it gave me a notice of [CORRUPTED] by the drive so I hit recover on that and it disappeared. now when I run the gpart it shows the following:
[root@freenas] ~# gpart show mfid0
=> 34 35156238269 mfid0 GPT (16T)
34 2014 - free - (1M)
2048 35156234240 1 !aa31e02a-400f-11db-9590-000c2911d1b8 (16T)
35156236288 2015 - free - (1M)

Is there a way to figure out if it was zfs or ufs?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure how to help you. First thought is you should get out your backups. While likely not the cause of your problems, your ZFS on a hardware RAID was a terrible idea. Glad whomever did that isn't there anymore.

Auto-Import is only for ZFS. Since that didn't work I hope it was UFS. You should read up on importing UFS. Maybe someone here can provide some guidance for UFS mounting since I'm a ZFS kinda guy.

Do NOT do the forced mount option until all other options are exhausted. Forcing a mount can cause serious corruption.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi djohnston,

Here's my thoughts.....

I assume you were using the hardware RAID card to manage the volume (the RAID was done on the card) and you just had zfs on top of the logical device the card presented? If so I would think this isn't so much a zfs issue as an LSI issue. If it were me I'd stop touching the card and contact LSI ASAP. At best they should be able to help you determine that the problem is on the card or if the RAID card is properly functioning and the problem is in the filesystem.

That said, there's not really enough information in your post to really determine what's going on. If you can, write up the most graphic description of what you know about the system and post it....there are plenty of smart folks who come through here who can help you make sense about what's going on.

-Will

paleoN

Wizard
Is there a way to figure out if it was zfs or ufs?
Neither, VMFS-5 & GPT. You will get better advice when you bother to tell us the FreeNAS version, how you were using the system, etc.

Based on the scant information you have given, I would guess your former colleague directly shared the "drive" via iSCSI. Do not try to recreate the device extent. Nearly all the FreeNAS versions will needlessly initialize the disk. Congratulate him on backing up the config for me as well.

You will want to try and pull the old database file off the old usb drive, e.g. da0s4.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What "maintenance" were you doing on the system? I find the odds that your USB stick and your RAID controller going on the fritz at the same time as somewhat unlikely.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi djohnston,

Indeed, we need more details.

Nobody really cares what happened if you (or the old admin) goofed up, but we need to know both what happpened & what the system is. This sort of catastrophic failure requires details to help you through.

My advice is don't touch anything! Everything you do since the failure increases the odds that everything is gone for good.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.