Problems with RAID array

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinachte

Cadet
I'm new to the server world, but I'd like to get more into it. I recently picked up this used Primergy RX300 S6 server (Intel Xeon E5506, 16GB RAM). It runs and all that and got FreeNAS installed, no problems. Now, the server came with four SAS drives configured in some sort of RAID array (server used to run VMWare). This is where I got stuck.

I can't seem to -for lack of a better word- access these drives. They show up when I gpart show. However, when I try to wipe them I get "Error: Failed to wipe mfid0: dd: /dev/mfid0: Input/output error 1+0 records in 0+0 records out 0 bytes transferred in 0.003162 secs (0 bytes/sec)" and when I try to make them into a volume I get "Error: Unable to GPT format the disk "mfid0"".

Am I doing anything wrong or should I be doing things differently? I've tried some solutions I've found in other threads on this forum, but none seem to have worked so far.

Thanks in advance.

tinachte

Cadet
Thanks for your reply - I managed to do a bit more research. I seem to understand what can be causing the problem. However, I can't seem to find any info on the availabity of IT firmware.

Controller card is a Fujitsu D2616, based on a LSI SAS 2108.

Edit: still doing research on this forum atm - based on previous reply, good hint. Will post if I get anything on the IT firmware availability. Thanks already.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't bother. The SAS2108 doesn't support IT or the mrsas stack.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Status
Not open for further replies.