Cannot access Web gui after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapnologica

Cadet
I have seriously been struggling to get my freenas machine up and running. I have started from scratch. Running on a new hp proliant micro server, 4gb ram, 4gb usb drive and a 2tb hdd.

I have installed the os on the use and booted up everything is good. I have followed the quick setup guide, up to the party when I create a cifs share. It wouldn't show on the network so I rebooted the machine from the website gui. After this reboot I cannot access it?

I can ping the machine, but no ssh or telnet or Web access.

It's running on a dhcp. I have encountered this issue 3 or 4 times the last day. If I do a system reset on the keyboard and screen. Then I am able to access it again, but obviously all my configuration is gone. However the machine is currently at a remote site only accessible via network.

What couldn't be the issue?

I'm running latest version of freenas.

Not sure on the number as I can't access machine. But I downloaded the file last week. Think it was 9.05.1 or something to that effect

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There are all sorts of potential issues here.

First, your server has too little RAM. 8GB is the minimum for ZFS. If upgrading RAM is not an option then you will need to format your 2tb disk to UFS, but note that you will lose the primary feature that draws people to Freenas.

Second, what quick-start guide did you follow? Most quick-start guides are crap because they are either outdated, contain wrong information, or both. Did it include any sysctls or tunables?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
UFS support is being removed in the next FreeNAS release. So don't be fooled, you're already on a dead-end path for your server by choosing to use UFS with FreeNAS. My recommendation would be to either decide to upgrade your hardware and go to ZFS or consider some other product for your storage needs. Using an old version of FreeNAS in the future is going to be difficult to support as well as keep secure.

gpsguy

Which rev of the Microserver are you running Gen 7 or 8? Once you get a working configuration of any kind, save the configuration file. If you did a reset, you could at least restore the previous configuration. That shouldn't be necessary, but you should be backing it up, anyway.

Since this is for a client, I'd suggest creating a "build sheet". I do it for all the systems I support. Detailed information about the hardware, software, BIOS, hard drives, etc. No guessing on version numbers - at least not on a fresh build. My guess is that you're running 9.2.1.5. If all you want is file storage, perhaps 8.3.2 would be a better option to start with. With 4Gb RAM and UFS it should be okay. Download it here: http://download.freenas.org/

ZFS on FreeNAS needs a minimum of 8Gb RAM. As others have said, UFS is about to be deprecated. Since we don't now which generation of Microserver you have, I will say that the NxxL's support 16Gb RAM. I'm running 16Gb ECC RAM in my N54L.

It doesn't appear that you'd done any kind of burn-in on the machine. I'd take back to the office/home and run tests on the memory and hard disk, before proceeding any further. Rather than using DHCP, give it a static address.

solarisguy

Guru
“FreeNAS® also sends a daily email to the root user which should be read in order to determine the overall health of the system.”

Status
Not open for further replies.