Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Cannot access console. Network broken. Commands don't work.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

So migrated my system to some new hardware. All was fine until i loaded my saved config.

Broke networking. Ok. No issue i will just set that up again.

Only i can't....

I have disabled the console on this config so it doesn't open. It asks for login. The commands i have found don't work (Just ask you to login again etc).

How the F do you fix this? I just need the console working or commands to setup the network again but there doesn't seem to be anything anywhere.

It must be simple and i am missing something...

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Using IPMI or connecting a monitor and keyobard?
This is direct to the machine...

I have the console disabled. The commands I have found to bring it up don't work. They just make you login again. I can see that the issue is the network interface needs configuring but I cannot configure it.

So I either need a way to configure network interfaces by the shell/cli or a way to enable the console from shell/cli.

ARRRRGGGGHHH

Why would I need to do that?

I have root access to the machine. I can do anything to it. I just don't have any info on what commands or files or settings I need to edit.

None of the information works (typing "exit" or "/usr/getty FreeNAS or whatever).

So I need to know where the config file is that disables the console. And what or where the option is in that file to enable the console again.

I can't enable it via web page because it's network doesn't work.

And I can't fix the network as the console is disabled.

Kcaj

Well thank you for being so clear!!

****NOT SURE IF THIS IS CORRECT AND TAKE NOT RESPONSIBILITY IF IT BREAKS, MAKE A BACKUP FIRST****

Look under /var/db/system/config-<hash> there seems to be system configurations there. Use a program to look into the database (I like DB Browser for SQLite) files, I would look under system_advanced first as there seem to be some console configurations there.

The DB files names seem to be a date, I suppose FreeNAS will load the latest one, so try copy one, rename and edit.