Can you start with truenas

bob5731

Dabbler
How do I create a pool with multiple hard drives of different sizes screenshot would be appreciated of a how to I'm trying to set up truenas as a pie hole server, Plex server, home automation server.
You would also like to share the drives with Windows and Mac. I'm not familiar with truenas but I'm familiar with freenas. I'm using something like a AMD rise core 5 with 8 gigs of RAM. I have a fresh install of truenas. You're helping greatly appreciated in this matter.

Heracles

Wizard
From what you wrote, I would recommend you use anything else but TrueNAS.

PI-Hole is a DNS server. Not hardware
Raspberry PI is using an ARM processor, not Intel.
You can not mix disk sizes when building a pool and as such, all drives will be limited to the size of your smallest one.

bob5731

Dabbler
I'm trying to do this all on one server. So how do I set it up so that I can send flowers over and run applications like Plex pie hole and home assistant? Well it's not coming up as most of the tutorials on YouTube where I can select two drives at once for striping I'm using the pool configure wizard am I doing something wrong? Used to in free Nas you could add multiple drives of difference sizes and types as far as I remember. I have several hard drives that I pulled from various computers and would like to add them to this machine to build one large hard drive for storage in DVD backup using pie hole software home assistant and Plex Media server if somebody could point me to a walk through with step by step pictures I would appreciate it.

chuck32

Guru
Right next to create there should be a checkbox: Force?

This will enable mixing sizes with the caveats already pointed out.

@Heracles it depends really on what else OP wants to achieve / learn. Pihole should be available as an app in truenas. Or one can setup a small VM.
But I get your direction and I'll throw proxmoxx into the discussion.

Edit: Add them to one big drive, that would be striping, no?
Do you need redundancy?
It's all in the documentation, only thing to know is that you need to force the pool creation when mixing sizes.

From there you need to see whether you want to use the apps for pihole, home assistant etc. or implement them some other way.
I don't really remember but if I recall there was some limitation with the HA app when I looked around that's why I opted to use the ova images. I think it was usb passthrough.

Last edited:

bob5731

Dabbler
Can somebody send me a screenshot I don't know what you're talking about.

chuck32

Guru
I'm on mobile right now, maybe you post a screenshot on where exactly you cannot proceed during creation so we get a better idea of what you are trying to achieve.

bob5731

Dabbler
16993757977842517989912489694768.jpg

bob5731

Dabbler
That is what I see on my screen at the moment am I missing something? Like I said I'm new to this so your help with your.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Why are you posting in the FreeNAS legacy forum? I suggest you start a new thread in the proper TrueNAS SCALE section.

bob5731

Dabbler
I thought it was posting in the right area if not please move. Everything I see online shows legacy checkbox but I get console wizards is there a way to redo this or change the setup from console wizard to legacy check boxes so I can manually set everything up?

Unraid was designed specifically for people with your needs.

You slap together a bunch of drives. Different capacities, different models, different speeds, doesn't matter. Then you dedicate one or two drives to hold parity data.

That's it.

You can use your "giant storage space" for whatever you want, including multimedia streaming.

bob5731

Dabbler
I was using win32 to make the image went back to balenaetcher. I finally got it installed correctly but still having trouble using mix discs sizes!!!

Etorix

Wizard
You can mix drives in a vdev, but the smallest drive will define what is used; excess space in other drives will be unused, until the smallest drive is replaced by a larger one.
What is your distribution of drives?

If you want to run apps on top of NAS duty, you'll need more than 8 GB RAM. ZFS does not scale well to small configurations.

bob5731

Dabbler
Running into another problem the nvd0 is where the operating system is supposed to be installed but when I put into true Nas it shows one of my spinning hard disks as the boot drive is there way to swap the two partitions cuz I want the nvd0 to be the boot hard drive unless that's not the case.

Last edited:

bob5731

Dabbler
What I'm trying to accomplish is a Plex server where I can hold all my DVDs and run home assistant and pie hole if this is not the right application or os please let me know

chuck32

Guru
What I'm trying to accomplish is a Plex server where I can hold all my DVDs and run home assistant and pie hole if this is not the right application or os please let me know
You were told multiple times:

But I get your direction and I'll throw proxmoxx into the discussion.
Unraid was designed specifically for people with your needs.
If you want to run apps on top of NAS duty, you'll need more than 8 GB RAM. ZFS does not scale well to small configurations.

Running into another problem the nvd0 is where the operating system is supposed to be installed but when I put into true Nas it shows one of my spinning hard disks as the boot drive is there way to swap the two partitions cuz I want the nvd0 to be the boot hard drive unless that's not the case.
Apparently you did not install truenas on the nvme then.

I was using win32 to make the image went back to balenaetcher. I finally got it installed correctly but still having trouble using mix discs sizes!!!
Why did you reinstall anyway?

You were using scale, disregarding everything else we told you this was not wrong.

The GUI apparently changed from 2.12 to 2.30, my mistake. For me the GUI looks different. Did you read this document?

In all honesty, truenas is not magic but I'm playing around with it for months and I'm still unsure about certain procedures and settings. It has a learning curve associated with it. You seem to be in a rush when you should take a step back.
All the other hypervisors also have learning curves, whatever solution you decide on: take your time.

bob5731

Dabbler
I will play around with it I think I got it working for now the way I want but one other question how do I add multiple drives in the future to the pool?

Heracles

Wizard
For asking such questions, you are clearly not experienced enough to store valuable data in TrueNAS, nor running important services from it.

As such, be extra careful and consider that you will always be at 1 click from loosing it all. For that reason, you must ensure to have all your data somewhere else, as well as being operational without that specific server.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
As a stripe - just add them. Or add them in pairs as mirrors. Both is supported by the UI.

Keep in mind that if you create a striped pool of single drives, i.e. no redundancy, the loss of a single drive will mean the loss of the entire pool. This is different from other systems that might only lose the files stored on a particular drive.

You might want to educate yourself about ZFS:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that TrueNAS without the "NAS" actually reads "Wasteoftime", with no offence meant towards the project or the devs or iX.