Can you change from Raid1 to Raid 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat9x

Cadet
Hey everyone I'm building my nas with 2x 2tb and 1x80gb. I know I need three of the same same size for a Raid 5 and so currently I have fresh config'd it as a Raid1 mirror (2x2tb), in the future I want to pick up an extra 2tb so I can have it as a Raid 5.

My question is would I be able to just add the future drive in a way without affecting/losing what I would have on my Raid1 and convert it into a Raid 5 (3x 2tb)?

The only other way around it seems like I need to transfer what I would have on the Raid1 to a external drive then do a fresh start by cleaning the drives and starting from start with a Raid5. Lots of time wastage!

Thanks for your help

Stephens

Patron
It isn't supported to migrate from a RAID1 to a RAID5. My advice is build your NAS the way you want it from jump street and don't piecemeal it. Even when you can piecemeal it, you'll end up with a solution less efficient than if you'd just built what you want initially. If you want a RAID 5, build a RAID5. If you want 5 discs, use 5 discs. Don't use 3 discs, then ask how to add 2 disks later. Because while you can do it, you will not end up with the same thing as you'd have if you used 5 discs initially. If you hadn't piecemeal'd your initial NAS, you wouldn't be struggling with how to save your data now.

As for saving your data while going from RAID1 to RAID5, there are at least two ways...
1) Copy all the data to backup devices, rebuild your NAS, copy all the data back.
2) Build a new NAS, copy all the data from the old NAS (you can now rebuild/reuse the old nas for more/backup storage)

Cat9x

Cadet
I assumed so, but I was hopeful as it seemed an asset for upgrading.

Thanks for the help, I looked up and down trying to find info on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.