Can someone verify my configuration? Pretty please!

jschmok

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I'm still a FreeNAS newb and am still learning. The #1 thing I've learned is that FreeNAS NEEDS RAM!! I doubled my throughput by simply adding more RAM and better CPU. That being said, I feel the system is pretty stable now. No more random network drops like I had before and I'm getting pretty consistent speeds.

I'm wondering if someone would be gracious enough to help a newb out, check out the config or something to ensure the system is running up to snuff. I would have to FEEL like its stable then find out "becuase you didn't do ___ this failed" then lose a pool or something small and stupid like that.

Let me know if anyone is willing to help take a peak! Thanks :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You need to share the config before we can look at it.
Probably should post in the "Will it FreeNAS" section of the forum.

jschmok

Dabbler
Are you referring to the .db file in the System --> General tab "Save config" ? or something accessed via SSH?

yea good call, i just realized I posted in the wrong section.... Can an admin move this thread?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

jschmok

Dabbler
Hey guys, thanks so much for the guidance and help... heres my hardware config. Huge upgrade from what I had before (4GB ram on a Athlon X2)

Asus P9X79
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
20GB of RAM
OS - 32GB USB Stick
4 x 3.0TB WD Red WD30EFRX
HP NC550SFP Dual Port 10GbE HBA Server Adapter

Can't find how to get my RAID config so I just attached a screenshot of the volume

ada4p1, I would like to get rid of. I added it as an SSD L2ARC but later found that this SSD is so old and shitty it would slow things down. It's an OCZ Agility 4 64GB SSD lol!

Anyways, let me know what you think so far! :)

Attachments

• FreeNAS.JPG
    FreeNAS.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 230

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Asus P9X79
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
I am not as familiar with Asus hardware, but this is a 'desktop / workstation' board with audio capability and that processor has no support for ECC memory. You could do better than this with a server board.
HP NC550SFP Dual Port 10GbE HBA Server Adapter
How is that working for you?
Can't find how to get my RAID config so I just attached a screenshot of the volume
That works.
ada4p1, I would like to get rid of. I added it as an SSD L2ARC but later found that this SSD is so old and crapty it would slow things down. It's an OCZ Agility 4 64GB SSD lol!
There is a means to remove a cach drive through the GUI.
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.1/storage.html#removing-a-log-or-cache-device

More vdevs mostly gives you more performance. What are you using this for?

jschmok

Dabbler
I am not as familiar with Asus hardware, but this is a 'desktop / workstation' board with audio capability and that processor has no support for ECC memory. You could do better than this with a server board.
Should I disable the audio?
How much of a benefit would the ECC memory provide?
I would need to get a CPU that IS capable of ECC memory

How is that working for you?
At first (with my old build, AMD Athlon X2 4GB RAM lol!) it was quite unstable constantly dropping. I ended up picking up 2 cards when I purchased them (1 for desktop 1 for NAS) so I ended up swapping the cards between the desktop and the NAS. I also reinstalled FreeNAS... one of those 2 actions made it completely stable. Now it doesn't drop anymore... pretty solid now

That works.
What are your thoughts on this configuration. It's pretty simple.... 4 drives. I have 2 more 6TB drives sitting in the case unplugged. Could I get more performance by using them? If so.... how should I add them, another 2 drive mirror (like the other 2) ? or something else..... I COULD backup all this data onto a drive and rebuild the whole Array. It's an option if benefit will be worth it.

Thank you! I will remove that SSD immediately!

More vdevs mostly gives you more performance. What are you using this for?
I'm using this as my "My Documents" folder but the heavy hitter is when I'm using Adobe Lightroom. I do photography and wanted to have my images on a redundant storage platform that can offer high speed connectivity to my desktop for when I'm doing photo post-processing. The most annoying thing in the world is loading Lightroom and waiting for the catalog to populate.

Random note:
I have a bunch of 1TB and 1.5TB WD Black drives from my old RAID setup (using a Dell Perc 5i RAID controller). Would those have any benefit in this NAS?