Can someone teach me how to configure for office server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porcupinelmf

Cadet
I've search throughout the forum, but I don't think I'm searching the correct keywords.

Need to make a server for a small office. Possibly minimum of 30tb. backup every night. so I would say maybe a raidz is enough? 7 desktop, will add more in the future.

We have a lot of douments, mostly pdf, docs, and excel sheets. We also receive a ton of emails everyday. What if I want each user to boot up directly into the server. This way any user can use any desktop and still can login to their workstation, I was thinking to make outlook or any file transfer to go by faster is to let all the data download to the server and have it handle the load. instead of cluttering up the c drive for each desktop, Am I saying this right? not sure how to explain it. Is there a tutorial for that?

Also need to have printer hooked up the server, so any scans will directly save to a shared folder.

dragon_0n3

Dabbler
I've search throughout the forum, but I don't think I'm searching the correct keywords.

Need to make a server for a small office. Possibly minimum of 30tb. backup every night. so I would say maybe a raidz is enough? 7 desktop, will add more in the future.

We have a lot of douments, mostly pdf, docs, and excel sheets. We also receive a ton of emails everyday. What if I want each user to boot up directly into the server. This way any user can use any desktop and still can login to their workstation, I was thinking to make outlook or any file transfer to go by faster is to let all the data download to the server and have it handle the load. instead of cluttering up the c drive for each desktop, Am I saying this right? not sure how to explain it. Is there a tutorial for that?

Also need to have printer hooked up the server, so any scans will directly save to a shared folder.

It almost sound like you want to build a VDI/RDP environment for your user-base. Or are you just looking for workstations to automatically connect to shares, and to backup your storage/data.
Does that sound about right?

Nick2253

Wizard

It sounds to me like you have two different needs. One is a server that handle your documents. For that, FreeNAS will work very well. On the printer comment, are you expecting the FreeNAS server to manage print jobs? If all you are trying to do is get a network multi-function printer to scan to a shared folder, then that is also easily done with FreeNAS.

The other need is (assuming you are using Windows client OS) a Windows Server with Active Directory to manage roaming profiles. However, roaming profiles do not really help you with things like Outlook. When a user logs in with a roaming profile, the entire profile is downloaded to the local computer. You can use folder redirection for things like the My Documents folder, so that wouldn't have to be downloaded every time you log in to a computer.

If I'm on the right track with the roaming profile bit, be warned that many people have problems with roaming profiles. They can be extremely slow, and can lead to occasional corruption issues. Many large companies use roaming profiles, so these problems are not insurmountable, but it's something to consider. Assuming that those problems are not acceptable, folder redirection alone may be sufficient for you needs. You would redirect the documents/pictures/favorites/etc. folders, so when you log in to a different computer, you'd at least get those. You'd have to setup applications again, but depending on how frequently you need to move computers, that may be an acceptable problem.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems

Need to make a server for a small office. Possibly minimum of 30tb. backup every night. so I would say maybe a raidz is enough?
RAIDZ2. Before going any further with this I recommend reading the following:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas.html
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ll-a-proper-home-freenas-setup-cost-me.28936/

7 desktop, will add more in the future.
Sounds like a borderline case for warranting setting up an AD domain.

We have a lot of douments, mostly pdf, docs, and excel sheets. We also receive a ton of emails everyday.
You should use either local storage on desktop computers for email or webmail. I would not have a pst hosted in a roaming profile.

What if I want each user to boot up directly into the server. This way any user can use any desktop and still can login to their workstation, I was thinking to make outlook or any file transfer to go by faster is to let all the data download to the server and have it handle the load. instead of cluttering up the c drive for each desktop, Am I saying this right?
That isn't going to work on the hardware / software you've selected. You can set up an AD domain to enable single sign-on and standardize workstation configuration, but I think that may be biting off more than you can chew.

Directly connecting the printer to the FreeNAS server via USB is not going to work. Get a proper multi-function printer, scanner, copier, that has a network card and supports scanning to SMB / CIFS / Windows shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.