Can not delete files from SMB share via OSX (regardless the version)

John45622

Contributor
Hi there,

I'm having an odd problem on one of my SMB shares (which has been otherwise working fine). There are a bunch of folders that I can not delete. I've tried everything from terminal delete (rmdir) to moving the files to a "delete_me" folder but no matter what I try I can not delete these folders or the files they contain. The mac says they can not be deleted because some of them are protected. I have checked them all and none of them are set to being protected. I have full read/write permissions and I've also stripped and reset permissions on TN (U5) to "full control" with no luck.
I also tried to set one file to "protected" which does work but then I can not uncheck "protected" as I don't have permissions but the command-I window says I do have full control. It seems like something is really messed up with those particular files and/folders.

Any idea what else I can try?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

John45622

Contributor
OK so things got worse. Some folders that were there one day w turned into generic symbols (white paper icon) on OSX and wheren't even folder anymore without changing anything and in them. I stripped all ACLs and re-assigned them recursively but no change.
The only way to "fix" it was to delete the dataset and copy everything back from a backup. Super scary. I also checked all snapshots which go back one month and even in the oldest snapshot these folders can not be deleted. But I can still create new folders inside the undeletable ones and delete them.
All that without changing anything (except updating TN) and without adding files to that share.
So now I'm back to normal but it's very scary...

John45622

Contributor
What's also strange that the connection is dropped (SMB share disconnects) when doing bulk deletions. Really annoying. Deleting folders with a lot of items is taking for eeeeeever.
Deleting from finder is impossible still even on the fresh volume. (Item in use errors). Even rm -rf via terminal takes for ever and eventually makes the server disconnect. After re-connect all the stuff is still there. :oops: