Can I use an iscsi from my FreeNAS system drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax

Explorer
Assuming that my motherboard has a NIC and BIOS to support booting from iSCSI, is this possible? I have no experience booting from iSCSI. I do have targets on my iSCSI FreeNAS . I just trying to find a alternative to using USB as my system drive. I don't know why but it brothers me hanging on the back of my system. I can see a future accident happening where some one bumps into the USB drive. I do backup my config from time to time. Maybe I should write a script to back this up automatically to some where else. I'm trying to find a practical alternative to the USB. I do have SSDs that I could mirror but seems a waste.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Assuming that my motherboard has a NIC and BIOS to support booting from iSCSI, is this possible? I have no experience booting from iSCSI. I do have targets on my iSCSI FreeNAS . I just trying to find a alternative to using USB as my system drive. I don't know why but it brothers me hanging on the back of my system. I can see a future accident happening where some one bumps into the USB drive. I do backup my config from time to time. Maybe I should write a script to back this up automatically to some where else. I'm trying to find a practical alternative to the USB. I do have SSDs that I could mirror but seems a waste.

Just get an adapter for the internal headers. Many (all?) of our recommended motherboards also have a built-in internal USB type A port.

But yes, you could theoretically boot from iSCSI, but what would the target be?

madmax

Explorer
Don't laugh to hard from my answer. I'm serious.

From my ESXi build will give the target for the boot of FreeNAS, if VMware can provide iSCSI or maybe XEN project can. Then use FreeNAS for VMs through iSCSI.

The only problem with internal USB connector is that my USB I'm using has a keypad. Anytime I do shutdown which isn't often enough to really call this a problem but I have to enter the code to unlock it.

Is there any security risk or privacy concern if the USB is compromise? Lets say this system is mission critical and sensitive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.