Can I recover my data using FTP service in FreeNAS 9.2.1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul

Dabbler
Hi,

My freeNAS box is not accessible to the windows and I am unable to map network drive any more due to samba CIFS issues and permissions. However I can see my data residing while I browse when I go to add windows CIFS share. I have a doubt, since the CIFS service is not starting "Service could not be started". Can I use the FTP service on the already created storage Volume and recover my data. Please clarify and let me know the steps if possible. I am trying via link http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/FTP , but not successful. It says FTP "Service Could not be started"

Please guide, if any way I can recover my data lying in the windows share which is not working using FTP service.

The windows CIFS share has been configured in RAIDZ2 config, until recently the CIFS service stopped working.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nothing you have said makes any sense to me. CIFS doesn't get configured in RAIDZ2, etc.

Sorry, but unless you can explain what your condition is and what your problem is clearly I won't be able to help you.

diedrichg

Wizard
What is your FreeNAS version? If your FreeNAS is healthy and you simply can't start FTP and CIFS, I would reboot and then try restarting those services. Let us know the results.

Fr Jonah

Dabbler

rahul

Dabbler
Hello Cyberjock....

I have a system with Intel Xeon Processor with 32 GB Ram.
Recently the server faced a power failure as someone unplugged the power cable while cleaning and the sever was running; and I got the attached error, and I have already copied some 16.9 TB of data.

Reading the forums, I simply auto import the pool as I didn't saved the configuration file and reconfigured the shares and user and group. I have a single user and a single group. And it started working perfectly, I could read/write data into the system and the system was up and running absolutely fine.

Suddenly, one morning when I started the server, the server booted up perfectly and I reached the normal default login page. But to my utter surprise, since I haven't done anything after re configuring the shares last time and everything working perfectly, I found that the shares could not be mapped into my windows system and I got the attached message "snap". I logged in to the admin page and in services I saw that the CIFS is off. I tried starting it and got the attached message in the snapshot "Cifs".

I can ping and receive the attached messages :ping".I can Browse the admin page, everything can be accessed, except I cannot map my network drive and it Is also not visible in My Network Places as it did earlier. The volume status also says its " HEALTHY"

I formatted the pendrive again and even changed it and reinstalled FreeNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x64 as someone advised me to change the pendrive. But not successful, everytime I cannot start the CIFS service. The real problem is I have no backup of some files that are really important, the crucial thing is I cannot lose those files. I read the forums and got to know it is a bug and it's a Samba CIFS issue, but not able to solve it.

May be you can help me on paid basis to recover my data. Because I cannot lose the data and I know you being a technology champion would be able to do it. Since I am not a linux expert, I cannot solve this.

Please guide me the next steps what to do. Because, I know, when everything is working perfectly and its a samba CIFS issue, I guess you will be able to crack it, since you are a mastermind of FreeNAS and I have seen you have helped lot of people in the forums.

Just to clarify, I thought of using FTP to retrieve my data as CIFS is not working. But now I will do whatever you guide me to do.

Thanks and waiting for your revert on this..

Attachments

• Power failure error.jpg
    Power failure error.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 240
  • snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 215
  • cifs.jpg
    cifs.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Ping.jpg
    Ping.jpg