FreeNAS DC or AD service

Status
Not open for further replies.

EQNish

Dabbler
I using my FreeNAS as an iSCSI presentation for VMware and HV as well as a CIFS share, the iSCSI works great for my needs, but if for what ever reason I need to reboot my domain (patching as I really only have one DC) I loose AD auth to the CIFs share, I have to log back in to FreeNAS and restart the service (putting in the account password as well). I have also tried Joining the domain as a DC in the hopes that FreeNAS would at the very lest allow auth to the CIF shares until the DC came online, but for what ever reason this was not working either

Other then a Second DC and patching in cycles what can I do to keep Auth, or make the service restart with out user intervention?
I was thinking some kind of script to for the service restart, but then have read in the forums that is not a good practice, so here I am?

Oh currently on FN 9.10.2-U4, looking to upgrade to the 11-u3 train in the near future!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That is one of the reasons why, in the world of Microsoft, if you have a 'Domain' you need two systems in what used to be called Primary Domain Controller and Backup Domain Controller. That way there was always a system providing the authentication and since Microsoft's solution to the problem is for you to buy another license, that works for them. They don't see a problem because it puts more money in their pocket.

EQNish

Dabbler
I get that, but since that is not what I really want to do...I was hoping for a FreeNAS way around my problem...It would make since to me that the DC options would join my AD Domain, and have atleast auth capabilities...or some kind of on fail, re check auth to AD in the AD service

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilipS

Contributor
11-u3 has an option to "enable monitoring" for active directory which is suppose to reattempt to connect automatically if you decide to upgrade soon. Maybe that will help in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.