Can I mount ReiserFS (UnRaid) disks read-only in FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
ReiserFS is not officially supported under FreeNAS. It may or may not work. But in any case I think it's a safe bet to say "you'd be crazy to use it with FreeNAS". It's not a file system that's being tested with FreeNAS at all. I'd think that even if you can mount it, if the GUI doesn't know(and I don't think it will ever be capable of knowing since its not designed for ReFS) you'll never be able to setup any shares or anything in the GUI. And you can't easily do your own sharing by editing config files.

In short,I think this entire idea is (1) a bad idea, (2) not likely to mount, and (3) likely to result in data loss even if it does work.

I should've been a bit more clear.

My goal is to install Freenas and ZFS on some disks but then mount the reiser disks read only just to get data off of them and into the ZFS array. Then I would erase the Reiser disks and add them to the ZFS array. Is this still a horrible idea?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh. Well, that's a more sane thought. I still think you are in trouble as I'm fairly sure ReFS support is not included in FreeNAS. You can try the FreeBSD commands from the CLI and see if they work. But considering its not part of FreeNAS' WebGUI I doubt it is tested or is even compatible.

Your best bet is probably to mount the ReFS partitions on the system that use to access them and copy the files over using your file sharing protocol of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.