Can I get any plugin to transcode flac to mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Miller

Cadet
I just got my freenas setup working, and I'm looking for a while to share my media. Some sort of uPnP/DAAP/DLNA seems ideal. I've tried firefly, minidlna (which doesn't claim to offer transcoding), and plex. All 3 fail to offer any of my flac media. I've verified it exists in the approiate media folder, and restarted each server several times.

Plex doesn't seem to find it in the web interface. firefly is configured to look for .flac files, but doesn't find them.

Transcoding all my music to mp3 manually would be a tiresome process, and I bought more CPU that I think I need in part because I would like to transcode automatically. Am I missing a configuration somehow to make this work?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I just got my freenas setup working, and I'm looking for a while to share my media. Some sort of uPnP/DAAP/DLNA seems ideal. I've tried firefly, minidlna (which doesn't claim to offer transcoding), and plex. All 3 fail to offer any of my flac media. I've verified it exists in the approiate media folder, and restarted each server several times.

Plex doesn't seem to find it in the web interface. firefly is configured to look for .flac files, but doesn't find them.

Transcoding all my music to mp3 manually would be a tiresome process, and I bought more CPU that I think I need in part because I would like to transcode automatically. Am I missing a configuration somehow to make this work?

My current headphones plugin can be setup to convert downloaded flac to mp3 but I don't know if it can do it to an already downloaded collection. But, I assume you want live transcoding.
My old subsonic plugin for FreeNAS 8 could do live transcoding because I packaged in ffmpeg with flac and lame (mp3) support. I will hopefully be releasing a version for FreeNAS 9 in the coming weeks.

Henry Miller

Cadet
Just to follow up, it turns out plex can transcode. (either that or my phone can play flac and plex is serving those files) I had my flac files behind a symbolic link in my media directory which my computer can see both sides of, but I limited all my media servers to not be able to see the destination.

Stupid me. (again...)

Status
Not open for further replies.