Can email alerting be setup to only alert on critical errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hager

Dabbler
While I love freenas the alerting seems to have a lot to be desired. SNMP can be a powerful system but its also pretty hokey and feels out dated. The built in alerting with freenas as far as I can tell emails on everything. When scans start and finish regardless of if problems are found. Is it possible to setup alerting when only critical alerts arrive?

I have almost 20 freenas servers (and growing) so getting/reading daily reports on everyone of them is impractical long term. We have a nagios implementation but from what I can find I have to write a custom OID to even see when a disk fails.

The best solution would be to tune the existing email system to only alert on fatal errors. Alternatively maybe I missed an easy snmp oid that can be monitored for the same purpose? I suppose I could set up an alert on every...single...disk... across 20 nodes. But that seems insane. They sell their enterprise hardware running (similar?) freenas so I'd imagine a business shelling out 100k would have a clean install with a professional monitoring system built in. What do the freenas gods on here do?

Hopefully this doesn't sound too much like whining. Just looking for the cleanest solution to alert on only the most important problems. Background, we have nagios, newrelic, and pingdom all pointed to a pagerduty alerting system. I'd like it as clean as possible to keep down on the pagerduty alerts.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, but FreeNAS 10 should prove more flexible.

Chris Hager

Dabbler
Ok good to know. In the mean time I think I'm going to try syslog with filters and alerting from there.

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.