Your test email could not be sent: [EFAULT] Failed to send email: timed out

techzillion

Dabbler
I am trying to setup email alerting in FreeNAS but running into a snag. I read the forum below but the solution there did not help.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...e-read-operation-timed-out.39196/#post-241060

I have an internal email server that serves the local network only, all my other appliances can communicate with the email server just fine and my Outlook client can retrieve email from it.

When I configure the settings in FreeNAS and attempt to send a test email, it tells me the exact message in the title that it timed out. The shell console also showed this error around the same time:

/middlewared[257]: dnssd_clientstub DNSServiceRefSockFD called with invalid DNSServiceRef 0x81b54f0c0 FFFFFFFF DDDDDDDD

I double-checked my DNS settings and resaved them to be sure. I have a local DNS server that uses forwarding for any Internet queries. I also added a local email address to the root account under user accounts and confirmed the mail server IP address was accurate. I am not sure what is blocking the email as FreeNAS is the only appliance failing. The mail server does not using any SMTP authentication or encryption.

proto

Patron
I'm not sure, but that middlewared error is coming from mDNSResponder and the only interesting error is the one you used as subject.

From FreeNAS host:
telnet your_internal_mail_server 25
host your_internal_mail_server
nslookup ...

I think FreeNAS (well, smtplib) is unable to find your mail host... so you should triple check your DNS settings and your NAS configuration against other clients. How do these clients find your internal mail server?
One of your problem could be in ANY Internet queries.

techzillion

Dabbler
I...must have taken my stupid pill because I had the wrong SMTP IP....Thanks for the telnet suggestion, it made me finally realize my mistake. It is working now.

hi,i have a similar error. I tried to set up mail and when i try send test mail, I get this error "
  • Your test email could not be sent: [EFAULT] Failed to send email: Connection unexpectedly closed
i checked Periodic Notification User "root" and Accounts ‣ Users "root" same .... i checked ip , DNS and gateway ... i am useing this mail adress in mikrotik router with another one google token....dont know what else can i try. i want to use mail for alerts pls someone halp me...

Attachments

• free nas mail.png
    free nas mail.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 621
  • free nas mail2.png
    free nas mail2.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 614

proto

Patron
try port 587.
try another email service.
this is another kind of error, but probably google is not accepting your <DATA> or not accepting your source IP, terminating smtp conversation.