Can a Mac (OS X) be used to set up FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fn369

Explorer
Another question that's sure to set eyes rolling, sorry... :rolleyes: Having built a FreeNAS box from scratch, can one then do the complete installation and set up of FreeNAS (including flashing of firmware etc.) using only OS X?

I've only seen references to Windows on the forum, and this is a real concern for me! Thanks.

adrianwi

Guru
Yes, as it's pretty much browser based.

Only Windows I have is a VM running on my FreeNAS machine :D

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only step that needs to be done on any machine other than the FreeNAS box itself is potentially (if you didn't get a proper server-class motherboard with IPMI) burning the installer to whatever device you want to install from, and the manual has instructions for doing that on a Mac. The installation is ideally done on the FreeNAS box itself, and any subsequent operations are done through the web GUI or via an SSH client.

fn369

Explorer
The only step that needs to be done on any machine other than the FreeNAS box itself is potentially (if you didn't get a proper server-class motherboard with IPMI) burning the installer to whatever device you want to install from, and the manual has instructions for doing that on a Mac. The installation is ideally done on the FreeNAS box itself, and any subsequent operations are done through the web GUI or via an SSH client.
Wonderful news, thank you. I hadn't gathered that IPMI allowed everything to be done via the browser, and it sounds as if I've been stressing unnecessarily about flashing the firmware.

To be clear, I haven't actually built the FreeNAS yet. Mainly because of the above concern, I've been searching (without success) in eBay for a way to avoid doing so... I now feel much happier with the prospect of going the DIY route, so thank you both! :)

snaptec

Guru
I only have macs as desktops and Linux/kvm + freenas servers.
Flashing cards directly on the Server boards.
Rest is via ipmi/ssh/web.
Windows free since 2004 [emoji41]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

fn369

Explorer
I only have macs as desktops and Linux/kvm + freenas servers.
Flashing cards directly on the Server boards.
Rest is via ipmi/ssh/web.
Windows free since 2004 [emoji41]
Thank you. I will be in a similar situation before long!

Status
Not open for further replies.