C2550D4I Jviewer Black but Dashboard working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie1338

Dabbler
Greetings guys, I am glad to join this community.
Unfortunately I have run into a couple of issues with my first NAS build with the following components

Fractal Design Define XL R2
AsRock C2550D4I
2x Crucial 8GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM (CT102472BD160B)
6x WD 6TB HDDs
No monitor/mouse/keyboard

I have everything connected, IPMI connected to router. I dont know how to find the proper IP if I connect it to my pc. How would I do that?

On the main page of the WebGUI under Remote Control I can see a message from the NAS which states: Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media is selected Boot device and press a key. On restarting with a FreeNAS USB drive it can boot into it and I get the option to install it. However when I launch the Jviewer it is all black with 0 FPS. Does anyone know why? Can anyone help me please?

EDIT: Ok turns out, I had to update Java after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. So issue #2 fixed. Does anyone know hot to find the proper IP if I connect IPMI directly to my pc?

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
Proper IP for what? The IP of the IPMI interface? The IP of FreeNAS? And what do you mean "connect IPMI directly to my pc"?

You don't want to connect your IPMI directly to your PC. Plug it directly in to the router. Most likely, the IPMI is configured to get its IP from DHCP. The easiest way to get the IPMI IP is to check your DHCP server's leases. You can also manually set the IPMI IP from inside the BIOS.

If you're looking for the IP for FreeNAS, you should just log in to your IPMI, and view the console: that should show you the FreeNAS IP address.

cookie1338

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply!
Don't I need the IPMI connected directly to a pc (or router) and another cable from a Lan port to the router? or can the IPMI port act as a Lan Port at the same time?

Nick2253

Wizard
You want your IPMI port connected to your router, and you want LAN1 (or 2) connected to your router. You don't want them directly connected to a PC. The LAN1 port can act as both the LAN and IPMI port at the same time; however, you generally want IPMI over its own interface to minimize potential conflicts.

cookie1338

Dabbler
Ok, huge thanks man!

A question though, wouldnt ipmi on router pose a security risk? Isnt it possible to have that connected to a pc via a crossover cat5?

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
Who has access to your network? By putting it on your router, I really meant connect it to your switch, which should not be accessible from outside your network. It's not really a security risk any more than putting your FreeNAS on your network: it should all be private to you.

cookie1338

Dabbler
I don't have a switch. I'm the only one with physical access to the pcs. What I'm thinking is that having the FreeNas ipmi connected to a pc via a crossover cat5 would be better than attaching that to the router too just like the LAN port of the FreeNAS. Unless that is not possible. Do you think it isnt?

Nick2253

Wizard
It's possible to direct connect it, but it creates a bunch of config issues, whereas simply connecting it to your network is easier, and only marginally less secure.

Let clear some language up: what do you mean when you say router? I'm assuming you mean something like a wireless router, which has a built-in switch and a built-in firewall. So when I say connect it to your switch, that's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about directly connecting it to the internet.

Assuming, again, you have a router with a built-in switch and firewall, just connect both ports to that. It's by far the easiest way to handle it, and then you're not dealing with weird networking issues because of the direct connection.

cookie1338

Dabbler
It is an ADSL Router, a Fritz!Box 7360. It has both a Wifi interface as well as LAN ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.