build failed in creating iso file

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexusone

Dabbler
my build keeps failing in the building iso stage. there is nothing even remotely helpful in the log file the indicates what the problem might be. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I can't find any good documentation on building freenas from source.

J

jkh

Not much information here to go on. Are you building on FreeBSD 9.3? Did you install all of the tools referenced in the README file in the source directory? There is actually quite a bit of "helpful log info" generated during the build (I have done hundreds, if not thousands, of builds and I've yet to run into an error that wasn't flagged somewhere by the build process). In any case, more information needed.

jianmoto

Dabbler
Hi,
I've build freenas from source, it was successful.But I don't know how to create the ISO file.Can you tell me how to create the iso file?
I build the freenas follow the REAME.md file.

J

jkh

You need to use the "make release" target - it will create a full release, including the ISO file, under the build/ directory.

jianmoto

Dabbler
Not much information here to go on. Are you building on FreeBSD 9.3? Did you install all of the tools referenced in the README file in the source directory? There is actually quite a bit of "helpful log info" generated during the build (I have done hundreds, if not thousands, of builds and I've yet to run into an error that wasn't flagged somewhere by the build process). In any case, more information needed.

You need to use the "make release" target - it will create a full release, including the ISO file, under the build/ directory.
Hello Mr jkh,
I had install the freenas with my iso that I build. And now I want to install some software in the freenas system.Then I get an error :Read-only file system.
What can I do? Is there any way to install software in the freenas system?
thanks!

J

jkh

The place to add software to the freenas system is in the source code, e.g. by adding the ports you want to the
build/nanobsd-cfg/os-ports file and then doing a "make release" - the resulting FreeNAS system is read-only because it's not meant to be modified once deployed. If there is something you want in there, you have to add it as part of the initial creation process.

jianmoto

Dabbler
The place to add software to the freenas system is in the source code, e.g. by adding the ports you want to the
build/nanobsd-cfg/os-ports file and then doing a "make release" - the resulting FreeNAS system is read-only because it's not meant to be modified once deployed. If there is something you want in there, you have to add it as part of the initial creation process.
Uh, is hard to do this.Because what I want to install is a little website.And I want to install a qemu,too.Is there any way to change the source or anywhere to achieve my aim?
And I know it's dangerous.

Last edited:
J

jkh

You'll have to learn how FreeNAS is put together and where to install the appropriate bits in the sources. What you're trying to do requires advanced knowledge, so there's no substitute for studying the source code carefully and coming up to speed on how and where to add things. Other folks have figured out how to do this from scratch, with little or no documentation, so I know it's possible. ;)

jianmoto

Dabbler
You'll have to learn how FreeNAS is put together and where to install the appropriate bits in the sources. What you're trying to do requires advanced knowledge, so there's no substitute for studying the source code carefully and coming up to speed on how and where to add things. Other folks have figured out how to do this from scratch, with little or no documentation, so I know it's possible. ;)
OK,I'll do this.And do you know where can find the developer guide for freenas?I just find the user guide in the official web site.

jianmoto

Dabbler
There is no developer guide - the sources are the guide. :)
hello jkh, I build the freenas 9.3-stable-20150206 branch today. But there is an error cond 1 return. And I build the freenas more than 12 hours one time.
There is my build command :
git clone git://github.com/freenas/freenas.git -b 9.3-STABLE-201502060145
% cd freenas
% make git-external
% make checkout //There is no error.
% make release //It take 10 hours more and exit with an error code 1.

Now is build complete after i run "make release" twice.:)(I havn't change anything)
But, is there any way to build freenas quickly? I build the freenas in two hours before. I don't know why it spend more than 10 hours now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.