BOOT/LOADER... File not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

GENER-AL

Cadet
I have downloaded the latest iso. file from freeNAS.org and i un-zipped it with 7-zip (just as i was curios what was included in the iso) and i noticed there were 2 folders with the same name one '[BOOT]' and one 'boot'. I thought this was normal and burnt the iso onto a disk using active@ iso burner. When i try and boot from the disk i get this error message:

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... File not found
Looking up /boot/loader... Found
Read Error: 0x01

When i do a search for this error i haven't found anyone else who has the [BOOT] folder (all in capitals) they only seem to have the lower-case 'boot' folder. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to give the older version of FreeNAS a go (version 8.3.1). So far the first part (booting from CD and bringing up the console screen for set up) is working fine. Im just finishing up burning the USB stick part onto a 4GIG USB stick and then im going to attempt the next part. Will post here if there are any problems. Does anyone know why the older version is (so far) working but the newer one isn't?

GENER-AL

Cadet
Using version 8.3.1 i was able to get the server working fine. Does anyone know if there will be wireless support in the up coming versions? It would be nice to connect my server to the the internet without the use of an Ethernet cable as for my set up it is very inconvenient and would be much better if the server could connect wirelessly.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Wireless from a server is pretty much pointless. FreeBSD drivers for network devices is already difficult. But for wireless devices is even harder. In all honesty, I wouldn't expect support for wireless to ever be implemented. People build servers and want speed. Wifi is the antithesis of speed.

There are devices you can get that convert your standard cat5 to a wifi hotspot. For example, you can use a http://www.ubnt.com/picostation and effectively make your server into a "wifi" device without needing a wifi card.

GENER-AL

Cadet
I don't want wifi FROM the device i want the device to connect to the internet VIA wifi. The machine im using as a server has a wifi dongle inserted into one of the USB slots and i would very much like the server to connect to the internet via that. Thanks for your reply though and i appreciate what your saying. I guess i'll just have to find a way around this problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right. That's exactly what I'm trying to explain. You can't do that because FreeBSD doesn't have much in terms of wifi. But, if Wifi is a must, you can work around it.

What you do is buy that picostation, then turn it into the bridge mode or whatever its called. Then you connect the picostation to your server using cat5. cat5 connecting the picostation to your standard NIC. Now, your server uses a wired NIC, but the data packets are converted into wifi and the picostation connects to your wifi router. Your server never knows its connected via wifi and you now have a server that uses wifi but doesn't need wifi drivers. :)

If you want to be even more of a pimp daddy, you can even connect the picostation to a 5 port switch and connect your server and another computer(say a laptop in the same room). Now your server AND laptop use the wifi, but don't know they're on wifi. And let me tell you.. those picostations are VERY powerful beasts. The broadcast range is well over 1000 feet where I use them. :)

GENER-AL

Cadet
DAYUMM haha. Sorry for the confusion im new to the whole server thing, im more web development. This is the first time I've ventured into a privately owned server of my own. Thanks a lot for your info =D.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

GENER-AL

Cadet
Im not sure. My router/modem is down stairs and i want the server to connect to the internet upstairs without having a cable going all the way downstairs and into the modem lol. Gona have a look around and see what i can come up with.

kjertil

Dabbler
hello!
i'm curios if you ever succeeded installing the new freenas 9.1.1 from CD?
I'm getting the same error messages and wasted about 5 CDR's at this point... I'm using InfraRecorder on Win7 and Ubuntu installer always works 100% when using InfraRecorder.
So you will ask me to try another burner, but the same result shows up when using the USB install method. I've also tried both the x86 version and the 64bit version but lost count of the amount of total USB/CD installs i've tried so far.
I've got a Intel S5000XVN motherboard with two Xeon's if that gives anyone a hint...

D

dlavigne

Have you tried selecting a slower write speed in infrarecorder?

kjertil

Dabbler
i must admit, after much work, i might be ready to eat my own hat...
i tried win32diskimager and now i can boot with a usb-stick!
don't wanna throw in assumptions here but could it be that the .img file is a little picky regarding the way it must be burned onto the usb-stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.