Browsing snapshots through AFP share, with OS X Finder not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfr1200f

Cadet
I've set up my FreeNAS server to share the dataset through AFP. I've also set the property snapdir to visible for that dataset through zfs set snapdir=visible MyPool/temp (for example).

When I use OS X's Finder application to navigate to .zfs/snapshot/<snapshot name>/<Some Folder In the Dataset>, I somehow get redirected to the current version of that folder.

For example, assume the share is called temp_afp and the folder is called Downloads, then when I browse to /Volumes/temp_afp/.zfs/snapshot/auto-20150218.0900-1w/Downloads, I get redirected to /Volumes/temp_afp/Downloads instead.

Even when I use the Terminal application and 'cd' to the aforementioned example, I sometimes see the current status instead of the actual snapshot status.

The only true way to get to the old data from the snapshot is to ssh to the FreeNAS server and navigate to the snapshot folder.

Not sure if this AFP-related, OS X Yosemite-related or just a bug in zfs?

I have this issue with all my FreeNAS 9.3 servers (two).

Regards,
Joris

vfr1200f

Cadet
Doing some further debugging, I found that the path, displayed by Get Info in Finder is not correct. The same path can be retrieved using the command line tool GetFileInfo.

Have a look at the terminal session below: I'm positioned in a snapshot folder of my AFP share. There are two folders in my snapshot: Downloads and Temp. When I retrieve file information about the Temp folder (for example), it says the directory is "/Volumes/temp_afp/Temp" instead of "/Volumes/temp_afp/.zfs/snapshot/auto-20150218.0900-1w/Temp".

So is this a FreeNAS bug anyway?

LAMMERJ-M-J0EB:auto-20150218.0900-1w lammerj$ ls
Downloads Temp
LAMMERJ-M-J0EB:auto-20150218.0900-1w lammerj$ GetFileInfo Temp
directory: "/Volumes/temp_afp/Temp"
attributes: avbstclinmedz
created: 02/17/2015 19:20:35
modified: 02/23/2015 11:37:19
LAMMERJ-M-J0EB:auto-20150218.0900-1w lammerj$

Status
Not open for further replies.