"Browsable to Network Clients" check box grayed out in TrueNAS 13

LucP

Dabbler
In FreeNAS 11 the checkbox to make a share visible or not to browsing from a client computer works with no issues. In TrueNAS 13, the box is grayed out. Same for Access Based Share Enumeration" which prevents shares from being visible to users with no r/w/x access to them.

I have tried setting new datasets as SMB and non-SMB, but once I go to Windows Shares and select the dataset, the boxes are grayed out. I have been running FreeNAS for quite a few years, and I am pushed to upgrade due to expiring certificates in the older versions. Right now I have TrueNAS 13 on a new server and it looks nice, except for this problem with setting permissions right.

Although I am running in a home office environment, the shares with financial information are not advertised by default (Browsable to Network Clients box set to off), and are only visible to users with r/w rights to the share. Access Based Share Enumeration is grayed out as well in TrueNAS 13 - two basic security settings are no longer accessible. Shares for pictures, etc. are OK with the default settings but some shares are not. Using default permissions and ACLs, I can get the the sensitive share such that its files are not accessible but the share name is visible - allowing for the share to be known that it exists is a problem for me.

Per prior posts, one solution is to revert back to FreeNAS 11, set the permissions as I need them to be, than upgrade back to TrueNAS13. I am not comfortable with CLI due to potential for errors (and I do not fully understand the documentation for what I need to do anyway), and would like to avoid setting permissions by hand and having to switch between versions.

Is there any other solution than booting up an old version of FreeNAS? I did not find so far any "how to" enable the grayed out boxes or change the settings corresponding to "Access Based Share Enumeration = yes" and "Browsable to Network Clients = no" (which is the opposite of the default settings in TrueNAS 13). I only need this for one share, other shares on the same server are OK to be visible, Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Select the "Purpose" dropdown and switch it to "No presets" - this should allow you to check/uncheck the boxes as requested.

1677301680301.png

LucP

Dabbler
TrueNAS 13 does not have that option in the pull down, but "private SMB Datasets and Shares" option did the trick.

Thank you!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS 13 does not have that option in the pull down, but "private SMB Datasets and Shares" option did the trick.

Thank you!
The above screenshot came from my 13.0-U3.1 machine - so I can say that it most definitely does have that option. It populates above the "Default settings" so it might not have been noticed as easily, but it's there.

Glad things are sorted!

The above screenshot came from my 13.0-U3.1 machine - so I can say that it most definitely does have that option.
Same on my 13.0-U3.1 system.

@LucP I would double-check to make sure you didn't miss it, just like @HoneyBadger mentioned it's easy to miss when you click the on the drop-down arrow.

LucP

Dabbler
How do you insert an image from your local drive? I only see an option to insert a picture from a web server, and ^C / ^V (or shift-Ins / Ctrl-Ins) does not work....
You are right, the "no presets" option is above the cursor when you drop down the box and I was missing it. BTW - I just configured a second server using "Private SMB Datasets and Shares" and so far so good.

Thank you!

You are right, the "no presets" option is above the cursor when you drop down the box and I was missing it.
It happens!

How do you insert an image from your local drive? I only see an option to insert a picture from a web server
There's an icon that looks like a mini landscape. It's next to the "Insert link" icon.

LucP

Dabbler
That icon opens a box with http://.... it seems to only allow insert by url, not for insert from clipboard or from a local file.....

That icon opens a box with http://.... it seems to only allow insert by url, not for insert from clipboard or from a local file.....
Interesting. It might have something to do with a user's total post count? Maybe to prevent spam? (I'm not sure.)

In the meantime, you can do what @HoneyBadger does. He doesn't actually upload any screenshots, but rather he uses MS Paint to manually create a pixel-for-pixel rendition of his screen. I'm impressed how he manages to accomplish a "font anti-aliasing effect" for the "text" portions of his drawings.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I get a modal pop-up asking me to drag-and-drop ->

1677690287198.png

But I typically paste directly from image contents in my clipboard into the rich/non-BBcode editor

1677690363915.png

This behavior might different based on your client OS/browser combination.

The finest strokes of a true artist.

LucP

Dabbler
Sorry, I only see the http:// box Tried with Win 7 Ultimate (Firefox, Waterfox, Chrome, all current editions for browsers) and with Win10 Pro + Chrome.

I have uploaded the image of what I see below using my web site for temporary storage of the screen capture:

01.png

Could this be related to my "cadet" status?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Could this be related to my "cadet" status?
It's possible - I know certain posting functionality (including post edits) are restricted until a certain number of posts/account history is established. (I don't know how that aspect of the forum software works.)

Glad that things have been resolved here - and I'll take the feedback about visibility of the dropdown back to the team.