Bring a TrueNAS Z20 back to life with FreeNAS?

zimmy6996

Explorer
Hey all ... I recently inherited a TrusNAS Z20 unit that was taken out of production from my company. It came with 15 2TB drives, and a cache drive. The unit support expired in March 2019. Functionally, it is still fully operational. None of the drives are bad, HA works, unfortunately, it still is running 9.3.x firmware. A few questions I have for you all ...

1) Since it was under support until March 2019, does that mean I can pull down firmware through that date, and at least get it up to date on v11, or does it mean since it is out of support, it completely is "you're on your own, no access to updates?"

2) Would it be possible to purchase a year of Bronze support, in order to gain access to latest firmware?

3) With respect to the internal drives, they are all older HGST 2TB drives. Will the system allow me to replace these drives with larger 8TB drives?

4) I assume I could drop additional RAM in the nodes in order to improve performance?

5) If there is no route to running TrueNAS beyond 9.3, can FreeNAS be deployed here? I presume that isn't the best option, because Im sure HA would not function in that case.

Any thoughts on what I should/can do here?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Call iXsystems and ask. The vast majority of the users here have never seen TrueNAS.

You should definitely be able to run FreeNAS on it if the answers you get are not to your liking.

zimmy6996

Explorer
Call iXsystems and ask. The vast majority of the users here have never seen TrueNAS.

You should definitely be able to run FreeNAS on it if the answers you get are not to your liking.

I've got the call in to them ... And I agree, I know I can run FreeNAS on it, but im guessing we'll be limited to a single node, not the HA pair.

pdugas

Cadet
I have a retired Z20 too but without the redundant controllers so I installed FreeNAS without issue. Only trouble I have is the site I am considering redeploying it to only has a small network closet for gear and the fans on this unit are nailed up at 100% so it's too loud. Would love to find a way to make the fans dynamic.