FreeNAS and Bulk Data Encryption Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorageEater

Dabbler
Hello,

First post here. I just started to do some research on purchasing a new NAS device and one pre-built unit that seems to check all the boxes is the FreeNas Mini unit offered from XiSystems. I see that this unit comes with WD Red drives out of the box or it can be ordered with no disks.

One thing that I am curious about is if anyone has built a NAS using FreeNAS that included the use of hard drives that support (BDE) or Bulk Data Encryption? Is there anything in the FreeNAS software that would not play well or support the use of hardware encrypted drives? Based on light research, these disks require some initial setup in the beginning in order to setup the encryption but given this would be used in a NAS device I'm guessing that the setup of the drive itself would need to be done multiple times for each drive within the chassis and each of those drives would have its own separate encryption password.

It looks like, on the surface, that once the initial setup was performed on the drive the encryption features sould be totally invisible to the hardware/software involved but maybe I'm missing something?

As a point of reference the following drive below is one that has these capabilities as isn't too badly priced @ $175 each for 2TB:
Hitachi GST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724020ALE640 (0F14685) 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Enterprise Hard Drive Bare Drive

Anyone ever play with or use a setup like this?

Thanks for any info you can provide

StorageEater

Dabbler
Just noticed something also, I dont see this Post appear anywhere at the Root Level of this Forum section. Even on the first day it was posted. I can only arrive here via the link that gets emailed to me when a reply occurs. Could be the reason for no responses as of yet, but then again, the reason may just be that no one has tried it :)
Home Forums > FreeNAS Forum > Help & Support > Hardware >

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
upload_2016-9-24_23-44-57.png

Shows up normally for me.

It may not have shown up at first because it needed to be approved by a moderator (new users have to go through that).

Status
Not open for further replies.